#21 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:51 AM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Nov 30 2011, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
boogie.gif feels great! I can't believe I got it done. Well, not done, as in finished shiny manuscript, but done I've made a good start on my original fic that I wasn't even sure I'd ever write. But now it has depth and character and feels like a real world. So it's a lot easier for me to write for it than when I first started.

Congrats to Achika too! I'll definitely be doing nanowrimo again next year, although I might do a fanfic as well!

Awesome job trixsie! I just got over the 50,000 mark. The story's still not done yet, but I'm in the denoument, so hopefully only a few more pages to go. At least the goal was to hit the 50,000 mark and not completely finish the story. I just kept on writing and writing and making scenes longer. It's a hot mess right now and probably won't be ready for primetime anytime soon.

@trixsie: Wondering, are you ever going to post your original work anywhere once you've revised it?
End of line.

#22 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (AchikaMiyu @ Nov 30 2011, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome job trixsie! I just got over the 50,000 mark. The story's still not done yet, but I'm in the denoument, so hopefully only a few more pages to go. At least the goal was to hit the 50,000 mark and not completely finish the story. I just kept on writing and writing and making scenes longer. It's a hot mess right now and probably won't be ready for primetime anytime soon.

@trixsie: Wondering, are you ever going to post your original work anywhere once you've revised it?

YAY!!! Congratulations!! boogie.gif

Yeah, mine's a real mess too. About half way through I started to question my characters' motives. So, I added some more complex back stories. Which was hard! I really had to stretch my imagination from just plain-jane characters to how-bad-can-they-be-and-still-be-likeable. And it worked pretty well. The story flowed better and the characters felt more authentic. But up to that midpoint the plot line is still needs work.

I know with Voice in the Wind I rewrite three times. Once to get the idea down, next fill in the description and action, and last to polish and edit. So I'm still in the first writing/building stages. Big mess. Lots I like, lots...eh, not-so-much. But I've really needed to write it all out to get to where I am now.

Next year, I'm going to start in October and map everything out. Then hopefully if I have a month's worth of thought on the plot, characters and motive, I'll be able to just jump right into the writing on the first. Storyfix.com has a great list of how to prepare for nanowrimo. I didn't do any of that because it's my first year, and honestly I didn't have time. But next year, next year....

As for posting, yep I'd like to share. But I want to keep my fanfic and real-life stuff separate.... So I don't know how I'm going to handle that. Maybe pm the link to anyone who's interested in reading it? (I have a separate account on deviant for original fic projects, so I would probably post it there.) I don't know of other fictions sites with thriving communities like ff.net. So DA is my most likely option.

Yours is fanfic, right? Will you be posting it to ff.net when it's ready?

Much later, I plan on getting the nanowrimo projet printed up, as the book contains illustrations and pull out notes, lots of lovely hands-on stuff. (As for hardcore publishing and marketing...that's not necessarily my end goal. I don't really know what is. But eh, that's a bridge I don't have to cross for a long, long time.) So I'm just going to really try to listen to the story in my head and tell it as best as I can.

#23 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:17 PM

Actually, ff.net has a link to their sister site that they use for original fiction. I've never used it before and am not sure how much traffic they get, but it's an idea. It's www.fictionpress.com.

I will eventually put up my fanfic, but it will need lots and lots of editing. I sort of let my Freudian Id out when writing. Let's just say that when I post it, there will have to be two versions: the censored version for general audiences and the uncensored version.
End of line.

#24 peanutbutter126

peanutbutter126

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Writing fanfiction, ignoring homework, eating, sleeping, being a pig

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE (AchikaMiyu @ Dec 2 2011, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, ff.net has a link to their sister site that they use for original fiction. I've never used it before and am not sure how much traffic they get, but it's an idea. It's www.fictionpress.com.

I will eventually put up my fanfic, but it will need lots and lots of editing. I sort of let my Freudian Id out when writing. Let's just say that when I post it, there will have to be two versions: the censored version for general audiences and the uncensored version.

Fictionpress admittedly gets less traffic than ff.net but I think it's already one of the sites where you'll get the most exposure for original stories. Good stories receive as much feedback as usual fanfiction. It's a lot more work for readers to sort through the pages of stories and find something they like, though, so reviews seem to be slow at first. That said, I still think fictionpress is a good place to start biggrin.gif You could also post it on some writing forums for feedback!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users