#301 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (Nee-sama @ May 15 2012, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll drink to that! And pour myself another if her father turns out to be a mafia boss!

girl we deserve a whole bottle each if Hiroshi turns out to be supplying the equalists.

QUOTE (alexander @ May 15 2012, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It does not specify who she is suspecting, I think Hiroshi, Asami and maybe even Tarlok are possibilities.

it's too soon for Tarlok, that'd be narrative suicide.

perhaps her suspicion in Hiroshi will lead to her finding Asami guilty. but regardless, the majority of the fandom agrees it's Asami - I mean they were right about Lin x Tenzin, Asami just seems so obvious

edit:
now that I think about it, it wouldn't be so bad. there's a theory that Asami got with Mako to get closer to the Avatar as a result of her reluctance with the Equalists (a job her father forced her to take). Maybe we'll see her come full circle prior to joining Team Avatar by being ambivalent about Mako and her relationship towards him. (i.e., I like you, but I wanted an escape - it was fun though?)

also I have a prediction that Hiroshi will bite the bullet somehow (his special VA is expensive iirc)

Edited by krisk, 15 May 2012 - 05:16 PM.

#302 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (krisk @ May 15 2012, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it's too soon for Tarlok, that'd be narrative suicide.

perhaps her suspicion in Hiroshi will lead to her finding Asami guilty. but regardless, the majority of the fandom agrees it's Asami - I mean they were right about Lin x Tenzin, Asami just seems so obvious

I think the most interesting path would be Hiroshi being an equalist, with Asami swearing that she never knew about it, and the crew would need to make up their minds if they can trust Asami or not. This also could be an good chance for character development for Asami.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#303 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (alexander @ May 15 2012, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the most interesting path would be Hiroshi being an equalist, with Asami swearing that she never knew about it, and the crew would need to make up their minds if they can trust Asami or not. This also could be an good chance for character development for Asami.

well if that's the case, Mako by default will side with her.
Bolin doesn't seem to care much about Asami, but if you're right we can finally see his input on the matter as well.

however, I really hope Korra doesn't suspect Asami right off the bat. Her feelings for Mako will make her seem so petty; suspecting the girlfriend of your crush just because she's that would be a huge step backwards for Korra.

I really hope all three of them come to the conclusion instead of alone, that way we have less room for a sole instigator and more for a team-effort kind of deal (less implications for one person that way)

#304 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (krisk @ May 15 2012, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well if that's the case, Mako by default will side with her.
Bolin doesn't seem to care much about Asami, but if you're right we can finally see his input on the matter as well.

however, I really hope Korra doesn't suspect Asami right off the bat. Her feelings for Mako will make her seem so petty; suspecting the girlfriend of your crush just because she's that would be a huge step backwards for Korra.

I really hope all three of them come to the conclusion instead of alone, that way we have less room for a sole instigator and more for a team-effort kind of deal (less implications for one person that way)

Lol, but that's kind of what we need to expect, Korra never liked Asami being with Mako, and the previows episode just showed that she is still annoyed by her. So it would be obvious that Korra would antagonize Asami in the first sign of suspicion. After all, Korra still immature.

Edited by alexander, 15 May 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#305 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (alexander @ May 15 2012, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol, but that's kind of what we need to expect, Korra never liked Asami being with Mako, and the previows episode just showed that she is still annoyed by her. So it would be obvious that Korra would antagonize Asami in the first sign of suspicion. After all, Korra still immature.

I actually have to disagree with that assessment. In that whole 'relationship' episode, Korra took the opportunity at the end to thank Asami and her father for getting behind the Fire Ferrets, and supporting them financially. This was after all the drama between her, Mako, and Bolin. That actually shows how high her level of maturity is, because I was actually surprised that after essentially forcing Mako to show his feelings for her by kissing him, Korra was so civil and nice to Mako's current 'girlfriend'.

#306 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (alexander @ May 15 2012, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't buy that.

in terms of romance, she's learned to be mature. Her development in E05 was important - in the conclusion, Korra voluntarily stepped back and officially smoothed things over with Asami. Sure I concede that Korra would have lingering bitterness lying around but that's about it - she learned to not attack the person, but the idea of what that person represents.

prior to E05, Korra was antagonistic towards Asami as an individual (she told Ikki and Jinora what she thought of her, negative qualities that Korra perpetuated onto Asami to be cathartic about her depression) and, in that, we saw her immaturity. After E05, however, Korra has learned to now dislike what Asami represents - Mako's Girlfriend, an obstacle that she has no control over being there (i.e., as long as Korra keeps her feelings for Mako, she'll always dislike whoever he dates). She's learned to not try to manipulate something she can't control, and if Bryke does have Korra's suspicion in Asami be the scapegoat for her unreciprocated feelings then that would be huge developmental regression for Korra's character.

i.e., very bad writing

with that said, I think that annoyance she displayed at the start of E06 was because Mako still had a girlfriend, not because of what Asami does/did. It's Mako's fault this time around, and she has all the more reason to be annoyed with him.

I'm just saying, it'd be a kitten narrative move on their part if you're right.

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ May 15 2012, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually have to disagree with that assessment. In that whole 'relationship' episode, Korra took the opportunity at the end to thank Asami and her father for getting behind the Fire Ferrets, and supporting them financially. This was after all the drama between her, Mako, and Bolin. That actually shows how high her level of maturity is, because I was actually surprised that after essentially forcing Mako to show his feelings for her by kissing him, Korra was so civil and nice to Mako's current 'girlfriend'.

mte! exactly what I mean.

and if Korra were to attack Asami outright, and - with me having seen Episode 05 - I'd be surprised and disappointed in the writing team. Which in turn, would contradict with my expectations of them, thus proving to be a fallacy.

I've got faith that Korra will stay mature.

Edited by krisk, 15 May 2012 - 06:07 PM.

#307 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (krisk @ May 15 2012, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't buy that.

in terms of romance, she's learned to be mature. Her development in E05 was important - in the conclusion, Korra voluntarily stepped back and officially smoothed things over with Asami. Sure I concede that Korra would have lingering bitterness lying around but that's about it - she learned to not attack the person, but the idea of what that person represents.

prior to E05, Korra was antagonistic towards Asami as an individual (she told Ikki and Jinora what she thought of her, negative qualities that Korra perpetuated onto Asami to be cathartic about her depression) and, in that, we saw her immaturity. After E05, however, Korra has learned to now dislike what Asami represents - Mako's Girlfriend, an obstacle that she has no control over being there (i.e., as long as Korra keeps her feelings for Mako, she'll always dislike whoever he dates). She's learned to not try to manipulate something she can't control, and if Bryke does have Korra's suspicion in Asami be the scapegoat for her unreciprocated feelings then that would be huge developmental regression for Korra's character.

i.e., very bad writing

with that said, I think that annoyance she displayed at the start of E06 was because Mako still had a girlfriend, not because of what Asami does/did. It's Mako's fault this time around, and she has all the more reason to be annoyed with him.

I'm just saying, it'd be a kitten narrative move on their part if you're right.

mte! exactly what I mean.

and if Korra were to attack Asami outright, and - with me having seen Episode 05 - I'd be surprised and disappointed in the writing team. Which in turn, would contradict with my expectations of them, thus proving to be a fallacy.

I've got faith that Korra will stay mature.

Let's wait for the episode then, but if you ask me, episode 5 itself had it's few bad writing moments, the whole deal with Mako insecurity over his relationship with Korra and Asami came out of nowhere, and it was badly handled in my opinion. So I don't think the writing team is invulnerable, besides, what's so bad about Korra making a mistake or jumping on the gun? She is still human, sometimes people just end up messing up here and there.

#308 Nee-sama

Nee-sama

Still trying to beat the boredom.

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Is anyone else wondering what exactly happened 46 years ago in Republic City (the event Tarlok mentioned and that seems to be in Korra's flashback visions?) Who is that guy in her visions and how is he connected to Amon!? Whoever he was, he gave Aang a fair bit of trouble, and Sokka and Toph were somehow involved.
I'm also curious about Mako's and Amon's backstories. They both claim to have lost their parents to firebenders. Mako's parents mugged by a firebender? However, his parents had to be a firebender and an earthbender to produce both a firebending and earthbending child, right? Something doesn't add up. Amon's parents were poor famers who were being extorted by a firebender? Who would have anything to gain by extorting a peasant farmer? Could the things be related to each other, or even perhaps to the man who terrorized Republic City four decades ago!?

971084_656443124372835_371212529_n_zps46

#309 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (Nee-sama @ May 15 2012, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
However, his parents had to be a firebender and an earthbender to produce both a firebending and earthbending child, right?

Nope. Katara is a waterbender with nonbender-parents.

About the next episode, I think this suspect will somehow have a connection to the equalists, or else the Avatar will just sink really low. Which is bad D: Edit; I just wonder, how do you think Korra will handle the suspect? Maybe she'll tell Tenzin, or I think she'll keep and eye on(and maybe spy, hoho on him/her.)

Also I don't get why this topic was moved, the two sections are pretty similar anyway.. :/

Edited by sushi., 15 May 2012 - 10:38 PM.

ナルサク

#310 Nee-sama

Nee-sama

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

Katara is the avatar, I don't think the standard genetics apply in the avatar's case. Besides she's at least from the water tribe, if her parents weren't benders there is a high probability that her ancestors were. There's a lot of case evidence that the bending ability is a dominant hereditary gene. How else could a firebender and an earthbender be biological brothers?

#311 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:38 AM

QUOTE (Nee-sama @ May 15 2012, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Katara is the avatar, I don't think the standard genetics apply in the avatar's case. Besides she's at least from the water tribe, if her parents weren't benders there is a high probability that her ancestors were. There's a lot of case evidence that the bending ability is a dominant hereditary gene. How else could a firebender and an earthbender be biological brothers?

Don't you mean Korra?

#312 Nee-sama

Nee-sama

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:44 AM

Oh, hmm. I guess you're right, I never realized that about Katara.

#313 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (alexander @ May 15 2012, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let's wait for the episode then, but if you ask me, episode 5 itself had it's few bad writing moments, the whole deal with Mako insecurity over his relationship with Korra and Asami came out of nowhere, and it was badly handled in my opinion. So I don't think the writing team is invulnerable, besides, what's so bad about Korra making a mistake or jumping on the gun? She is still human, sometimes people just end up messing up here and there.

my point is that if the writing team forgot what they wrote and wrote something that would contradict what they've already established, then that would be bad writing.

shoe-horning Mako's feelings for Korra, while I admit was a weak attempt to introduce Mako's side of Makorra, wasn't bad writing. They had their hands full with Bolin and Korra, so I don't blame them. They needed to at least present Mako's conflict, and they accomplished that. If I were to criticize, I'd say that they could have used Mako's feels as a sub-plot as we go along to flesh out Makorra a bit instead - but I don't think they could have done so properly and consistently without it being distracting from the main plot. (and even if they did, people would still complain unfortunately)

I'm glad they got it over with in THAT one episode. Now we deal with the fall-out (which has decidely more room to develop, with Korra and Bolin out of the way).

and yeah she's human BUT we saw her fault and learn in Episode 05; that was the point of the episode and the learning process is complete. As humans we retain what we learn, and if she suddenly forgot the consequences of her mistakes in E05 (i.e., just how badly her inconsideration hurt her and her friends) she's either inhumane, sadistic or a broken character.

QUOTE (Nee-sama @ May 15 2012, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is anyone else wondering what exactly happened 46 years ago in Republic City (the event Tarlok mentioned and that seems to be in Korra's flashback visions?) Who is that guy in her visions and how is he connected to Amon!? Whoever he was, he gave Aang a fair bit of trouble, and Sokka and Toph were somehow involved.
I'm also curious about Mako's and Amon's backstories. They both claim to have lost their parents to firebenders. Mako's parents mugged by a firebender? However, his parents had to be a firebender and an earthbender to produce both a firebending and earthbending child, right? Something doesn't add up. Amon's parents were poor famers who were being extorted by a firebender? Who would have anything to gain by extorting a peasant farmer? Could the things be related to each other, or even perhaps to the man who terrorized Republic City four decades ago!?

re: past
people are speculating that the dude is Yakone, a waterbender who was possibly a bloodbender. I'm not sure if this prediction is still valid, but the confrontation is supposedly about Yakone getting away with bloodbending someone (and as a result killing them) and Aang dealing with it, despite his preference to do so peacefully.

re: Mako and Bolin
the process of the bending ability and how it's distributed isn't really cut and dry.

However, what is known is that: the ability to bend is half genetic and half spiritual; and hypothetically, anyone and everyone can bend if they "wanted to" (i.e., appropriately met the critierion to bend).

But to break this down a bit simplier, we'll apply the genetic model:
- both their parents were benders (a firebender and a earthbender)
- only one of their parents had a dominant bending gene in their family line while the other had a recessive
- both posessed a recessive bending gene while somewhere in their family line there existed the dominant gene

Personally, since I figure the bending genotype has saturated the population of Republic City moreso than the non-bending one in this time-period (e.g., we have lower-class citizens who are specialized benders) - it's more likely that both their parents were benders, but which element belonged to whom, we don't know.

I'd put a couple of bucks on their mother being a firebender, and father being an earthbender justcuzz.

and yes their parents were "cut down" by a firebender, during a mugging (iirc) - Mako was present, doubt Bolin was.

re: Amon
it was because they were poor that Amon's family was so easily extorted. When you're struggling to get by, you don't really have much power - arguably, the weak are more often than not the easiest to abuse/manipulate/etc.

QUOTE (sushi. @ May 15 2012, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
About the next episode, I think this suspect will somehow have a connection to the equalists, or else the Avatar will just sink really low. Which is bad D: Edit; I just wonder, how do you think Korra will handle the suspect? Maybe she'll tell Tenzin, or I think she'll keep and eye on(and maybe spy, hoho on him/her.)

Also I don't get why this topic was moved, the two sections are pretty similar anyway.. :/

I doubt she'd tell Tenzin. Korra seems the type to do the work herself.

My bets on her being witness to something shady, then going to the guys for some input.

And if our suspect turns out to be Asami, I really doubt Mako would help. I mean, sure he did own up to his feelings after Korra calling him out, but since he's still with Asami, I suspect he's still trying his hardest to live in denial. In fact, from what we saw in E06, they're going strong - so at most, Mako will probably hear out Korra but reject her suspicions out of weak desperation. That is until he's alone with Asami and he'll either A) subtlety look for signs, B) see signs but try to rationalize them as just his ~imagination or C) there will be a huge climactic "I need to tell you something" moment and Mako will break about the Korra kiss, and Asami will break about her involvement with the Equalists.

now that I think about it, this could be a Mako-development heavy episode.

re: thread move
It always felt wrong to have my thread sit in the Animu Section, so I put in a request for it to be moved. LoK isn't animu, it's a western cartoon (there's a huge difference lmao)

QUOTE (Nee-sama @ May 15 2012, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Korra's case is special, so you're right on that part; the Avatar-line and it's corresponding Avatar-cycle transcends standard bending geneology. The Avatar is true spiritual, it doesn't answer and/or isn't limited by the traditional hereditary frame-work. I figure the ratio of spirit to genetics is vast for the Avatar.

um, but remember Katara was one of the MC's in ATLA, while Aang was the Avatar. Here we have Korra, the current Avatar. (No offense, but it's kind of hard to mistake the two..)

#314 Nee-sama

Nee-sama

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

Brain fart, lol.

#315 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

New clip from episode 7:

Wait a second, when Asami is swimming next to Mako, is she implying that she knows about the whole deal between Korra and Mako during episode 5? It feels like it at least. And, ummm, Asami on an swim suit...

#316 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (alexander @ May 18 2012, 04:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
New clip from episode 7:

Wait a second, when Asami is swimming next to Mako, is she implying that she knows about the whole deal between Korra and Mako during episode 5? It feels like it at least. And, ummm, Asami on an swim suit...

Oh man fanboying over Asami. rolleyes.gif

I would prefer to fanboy all over Korra she's way hotter than Asami. pictureem0.gif

Edited by Gravenimage, 18 May 2012 - 10:39 PM.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#317 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

Just watched Episode 6. It was alright.

Edited by zacrathedemon5, 18 May 2012 - 10:52 PM.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#318 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:30 AM

Alright^? I think it was one of the best, along with the premiere.

Link yo interview with Bolin! Yehey.

So I don't think the Sato's are evil, I watched avatar wiki, maybe Hiroshi is just trying to keep his family safe. Maybe Korra discovers something suspicious while at Asami's house.

Edited by sushi., 19 May 2012 - 01:31 AM.

ナルサク

#319 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:45 AM

QUOTE (sushi. @ May 18 2012, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alright^? I think it was one of the best, along with the premiere.

Link yo interview with Bolin! Yehey.

So I don't think the Sato's are evil, I watched avatar wiki, maybe Hiroshi is just trying to keep his family safe. Maybe Korra discovers something suspicious while at Asami's house.

Nothing really stuck out to me. It was a pro-bending match and a brief struggle against the chi blockers.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#320 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

Anyone has a link for ep 7? I missed it. dry.gif
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave