• Please log in to reply
742 replies to this topic

#281 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

The Devil is a Part Timer!

So I've finally gotten back in the groove of checking out some anime and while browsing through Hulu I watched the series "The Devil is a Part-Timer!"

The official story is "

Inches away from conquering the world, the devil is foiled by a hero and finds himself in modern-day Tokyo. With no real-world skills to speak of, the devil is forced to make ends meet flipping burgers at a fast food joint!"

The show is really funny, having some good humor, and doesn't fall into too many cliches. There are elements that have been showcased before, but that being said, the series is still a good time. 13 episodes long.

I'd say 4 out of 5.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#282 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:11 PM

Angel Beats - 6.5 of 10 I'm almost finished with this one and it's entertaining enough. The more serious aspect of it's premise (dead teenagers caught in a between world in the afterlife) is often overshadowed by the comedy, but some of the characters gain more depth and sympathy as it progresses. It's short and mostly light with some heavier material mixed in; overall good but not great. Though I will admit Hinata/Yui made me cry a bit at the end. :cry:

Edited by BakeNeko-Chan, 04 March 2014 - 05:15 PM.

#283 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:19 AM

Panzer World Galient - I had rated this show earlier but I had just watched the first episodes. Now I have watched it whole my grade is a solid 8.5. The premise is seldom used (humongous mecha in a medieval setting. I have only found two shows like that: Dunbine and Eascaflowne). It has plenty awesome and dramatic moments, some interesting mysteries (such like where Marder -the Big Bad- comes from? Who is Hilmuka -a woman joins to the heroes and uses a strange technology- and her people? Why there are so much super-advanced weaponry buried in the ground of Arst if the planet's development is at medieval level?) and endearing characters.

Super-Dimensional Century Orguss - Made by the same people made Macross/Robotech.

In the not-so-distant future, the planet is divided between two super powers wage a war to control a transporting device called "spatial lift". One of the warring sides decides blowing the lift up by detonating a time-space bomb. However the explosion has an unexpected effect: it opens dozens of rifts between different dimensions, blending them together. The main character gets caught in the explosion and sent twenty years in the future to discover his world is now a patchwork of several dozens of different Earths; the dimensional chaos spawned by the bomb goes on, displacing whole places and people and replacing them with others stolen from other dimensions, and it is getting so disastrous it eventually may tear apart the planet; and he is the nexus point, meaning he is one of the keys to fix the dimensional chaos, meaning that several armies want either capturing him or killing him. Or both.

Oh, and now he has a daughter hates him because she wrongly thinks he abandoned them her mother and her.

I have watched one third of this series and right now I grade it with a 7. Pretty good so far, but as well flawed, and the random absurd episode (you know, the kind of episode that, after watching it, you think: "I bet they were running out of time so they made this filler instead of a proper, well-plotted episode") brings the grade down.

Edited by Jenskott, 22 March 2014 - 10:20 AM.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#284 AquariusNoHana

AquariusNoHana

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, writing, NaruSaku, classic anime: Kishin Douji Zenki, Saint Seiya, Cyborg 009, Houshin Engi, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Sailor Moon. Favorite movies: Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Wreck it Ralph, Aliens, Van Helsing.

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:35 PM

Saint Seiya 9.8/10, while the plot is sometimes shaky in places, the action, the characters, and the mythology (mainly Greek) references are worth the watch. It's a long series, with a total of 4 sagas: Sanctuary, Asgard, Poseidon, and Hades (and even that has three parts.) The animation art was drawn by the late Shingo Araki, and the English dub (by ADVfilms) was cancelled at the 60th episode.

My deviantart: http://akumaru13.deviantart.com

tumblr_nbrqrbch7P1s727oto3_400.gif

#285 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:17 PM

You are watching Saint Seiya? Awesome! I love Saint Seiya (and I also love classic anime). Like you said, the plot is shaky, and sometimes repetitive, but its good parts definitely make up for it.

Generally the anime version is better than the manga (since Kurumada's art is visually effective, but it is somewhat poor, and it relies on stock poses too much). Personally I recommend watching the anime up to the Hades saga, and then switching to the manga to reading the last saga. Also, the Asgard saga is filler (pretty good filler, though. Nonetheless, Asgard and Poseidon sagas follow the same structure than Sanctuary saga final arc, so if you watching Asgard, when you reach the Poseidon episodes you can feel burn out). Not watching the movies, though: they are rubbish.

"Hades" used to be my favorite saga plot-wise, but now I think Sanctuary saga is the best part of Saint Seiya.

9/10. Classic shonen manga. Flawed series, but with very good stuff. And it is my chilhood.

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#286 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:31 PM

magi season 2: 8/10. Much better than last season! x) Pretty much flawless.

ナルサク

#287 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:53 PM

Psycho-Pass - 9/10. The overall premise is not exactly new or 'original' -- with a seemingly utopian future society that is later shown to be corrupt and flawed -- but I've long had a particular interest in those kinds of plots and I love the execution in this one. Some dark and twisted elements here and it doesn't shy away from violence, but some very interesting and solid characters.

#288 Ace of Circle

Ace of Circle

I am him.I am Ace.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Interests:Anime/Manga,Sport,
    Training,Taijutsu
    and Reading

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:05 AM

One Piece-10/10.It's way more unpredictable than any other Anime/Manga I've heard of.It has more battle scenes than most,while still keeping talking as a part of it,and everyone in it improves in their fighting abilities.This is because OP operates on a henchmen-Mini boss(es)-boss system therefore everyone can improve their abilities.It also manages to do all of this without detracting from the talking scenes.

Life goes on whether you choose to move on and take a chance in the unknown.
Or stay behind, locked in the past, thinking of what could have been.
Ace

#289 Sakamaki Izayoi

Sakamaki Izayoi

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:43 PM

No Game No life 10/10.

"The story of No Game, No Life centers around Sora and Shiro, a brother and sister whose reputations as brilliant NEET (Not in Education, Employment, or Training) hikikomori (shut-in) gamers have spawned urban legends all over the Internet. These two gamers even consider the real world as just another "crappy game." One day, they are summoned by a boy named "God" to an alternate world. There, God has prohibited war and declared this to be a world where "everything is decided by games"—even national borders. Humanity has been driven back into one remaining city by the other races. Will Sora and Shiro, the good-for-nothing brother and sister, become the "Saviors of Humanity" on this alternate world? "Well, let's start playing."
SK-303_image007.jpg

#290 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:37 PM

Steins;Gate - 10/10

Just recently finished watching this. What an amazing show.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#291 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:57 AM

Slam Dunk: 9/10

As well known as "the history of how a guy became a great basketball player to get a girl noticing him".

I had already read the manga, and these days I have been watching the anime. The anime version pointlessly lengthens many scenes and it does not adapt the whole manga, but I can not think of more flaws. Slam Dunk is great -excellent art, charismatic characters with good interaction between them, thrilling matches- and if you like sports manga, you MUST see this series.

Incidentally, Inoue is a Chicago Bulls fan.

Slamdunk.jpg

Is it very obvious?

#292 Sedna

Sedna

Nostalgic

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:Birds.

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

I actually have two current animes:
Soul Eater Not- I really like this show alot, although Soul Eater is wayy better. I think the characters are super adorable too! But, It took awhile to see actual development. I give it a 7!

Fairy Tail- I really like the plot idea of the show. (Fanservice is way to heavy) But it seems like everyone always wins from stupid powerups. I am not a big fan of the show. It sucks that Hiro ruined such a good plot. I give it a 4!

#293 questdrivencollie

questdrivencollie

trainer of ninja hounds

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Interests:Art, music, anime & manga, animals, dog training & behavior

"If I stumble, take a tumble
    Go ahead serve me another
    And if I fall I’ll give it my all
    ‘Cause the fall is half the fight "

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:03 PM

Just finished Madoka Magica this morning. I'm not much of a critic, so my rating is based mostly on my enjoyment.

I give it a 7/10. My kind of dark fantasy. I guess it relies more on psychological horror than any other type of horror, and that seems to be what I like.

I'm currently in the midst of Blue Excorcist. I've been watching it on Toonami and am considering watching it through to the end on Toonami rather than making a marathon of the episodes as I normally do.

I love this anime, and currently I'd rate it 9/10. I heard it splits off from the manga pretty early on, though, which kinda sucks. Once I'm done with the anime I'll definitely read the manga.

Edited by questdrivencollie, 27 June 2014 - 10:12 PM.

tumblr_inline_nt19in1cWl1sat1vz_540_zpsd
"Don't ever turn me loose
Even when I turn my back"
~Relient K

#294 dylanrivers10000

dylanrivers10000

Blow this up like pyromania-def leppard

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Location:on the moon shadow and i blew up the earth, now along side the ENTIRE CALL OF DUTY FRANCHISE, and the A-TEAM
  • Interests:proving people that being stereotypical about me and bashing me is impolite, and is just rude!!!

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

8-9-10-1 any of these

naruto, i think you know all about it lol

Neil-Young-Rockin-In-The-Fre-101219.jpg

#295 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

Akame ga kill 8/10- very goury filled with action and very tragic. Great characters but nobody is safe from dying except the male lead and female. I'm proud to say I shipped Tatsumi/Mein and Wave/Kurome.

Knights of Cidonia 6/10- first episodes were boring but the action peaks up and the story gets more interesting. You can only watch it on Netflix since its an original series. 

Fate Zero 9/10- just for the fact that King Arthur is a woman in this series is enough for me to like it. But aside from that its a good series with good characters.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#296 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

Space Dandy 9/10

All I need to say is...

He's a Dandy guy in space.

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#297 Rocket

Rocket

Nohrian scum

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:roses are red, dark clouds are grey.... the rumour come out: does jumin han is gay?

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

Picked up a few titles this season. I'm about to head off to sleep so I'll try to keep it as short as I can.

Akame ga Kill!: 9/10

First two episodes and I already really like this a lot! I really like the idea of assassins and lots of gore. For me, it also has a nice amount of action too.

Tokyo Ghoul: 4/10

The premise of the story seemed really interesting, but I'd be lying if I said the first episode as a whole grabbed me. I guess it's a little bit too early to be criticizing so I'll see if it picks up a little bit. 

Free! Eternal Summer: 7/10

Ah yes, the second season of the legendary swimming anime. As usual, it has its cute moments and I really like the new characters!

DRAMAtical Murder: 6/10

As someone who's played the original visual novel, I can't say I'm super impressed with the progress of the anime. I guess my problems are the pacing and lack of initial worldbuilding and establishment of the main cast. However, I'm happy that as of current it's overall been faithful to the original story, so I'm still looking forward to it. Also, Clear is the cutest character~~

JA2DBzd.png

#298 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - 7/10

The show has plenty of problems and doesn't have the most involving cast, but there's juuust enough there to care about what's going on and to enjoy the ride. It's pretty fun.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#299 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:52 AM

Attack on Titan 6/10

I'll probably get it, but I'm not gonna lie, this feels like it's different for the sake of being different but it's basically the same as most other giant creature/mech animes... I guess that's true of any anime. They're so mass produced that you can find similar tropes among most anime of the same genre. I understand why he is the way he is but Eren is too angsty and not enough action-takey... and I'm kind of done with the whole "the more I yell everything, the more passionate I am" protagonists. I liked the first episode, but just am so bored. Is this one of those 'the manga is superior to the anime?' Maybe I'll give the manga a shot instead. 

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#300 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:54 AM

Attack on Titan 6/10

I'll probably get it, but I'm not gonna lie, this feels like it's different for the sake of being different but it's basically the same as most other giant creature/mech animes... I guess that's true of any anime. They're so mass produced that you can find similar tropes among most anime of the same genre. I understand why he is the way he is but Eren is too angsty and not enough action-takey... and I'm kind of done with the whole "the more I yell everything, the more passionate I am" protagonists. I liked the first episode, but just am so bored. Is this one of those 'the manga is superior to the anime?' Maybe I'll give the manga a shot instead. 

From what I remember the anime and manga are basically the same thing. You could give it a shot but I don't think it will interest you anymore than the show.

JLHza2T.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users