• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:18 AM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Jul 28 2010, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I AM PEACEMAKER!!! pictureem0.gif heheelq7.png

Snake says it's Peace Walker! pictureem0.gif

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Jul 28 2010, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also I just read this rumor on another site, Viz has tried speading up releases anyone know if that's true?

Yeah, i think i remember Derock-kun saying they did. I may be wrong though.

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Jul 28 2010, 01:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That would actually make a lot of sense. Onemanga was huge in terms of Supply and operation and if Openmanga hires that type of resource with there own *snap* instant archives.

Agree, OM has "alot" of manga in their servers. argh1.png

Edited by Uzumakikage, 28 July 2010 - 06:29 AM.

#242 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:35 AM

It takes 10 seconds to download a chapter off IRC. Oh no the agony.

#243 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (Aethos @ Jul 28 2010, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look I know the staff hates me and that I'm not very well liked on here Derock, but when someone reports a post the staff could at least attempt to enforce rules instead of just sitting back, and doing nothing just because it's someone they don't like who reported it.

Don't assume things you don't know. Your report was logged and was then handled in a professional manner by one of our Mods.

And the staff here at Heaven and Earth doesn't hate you. You think too highly of yourself if you think we sit around going "Oh, that Aethos. How I dessppissee him" mellow.gif

You have been a member here from almost the beginning. I would think you would know the people here well enough that no one *hates* anyone at all. That kind of negative emotion takes a lot of energy, and H&E is too calm and chill a place for such nonsense.

Now, I do not respect you disrespecting a fellow Mod, much less an Admin the way that you did. Your tone of 'voice' and choice of words when speaking to other members also leaves much to be desired.

Now as I said no one, especially the Mod/Admin Team, here at H&E hates or has anything against you. Your rudeness and lack of good manners just usually causes us to do what we would do with any member, who acts in a way that continuously breaks the rules, every time they came back to the site. There has not been a time in recent memory (and that stretches back 2 years) that you have not come back to Heaven and Earth, and acted as what most other forums would call your behaviour...trolling. You almost seem to go out of your way to antagonize people. To what end I honestly don't know. I sometimes don't think you even realize the way you come off when you speak to others.

But that's not what our responsibility here at H&E is. Not to help you realize your tone and actions are less than desirable. They are to maintain a well-functioning, generally good-feeling vibe with the forum as a whole and all of our members.

So, let this be your last warning, Aethos. Clean up your behaviour, and stop speaking to members and Administration so disrespectfully. It will be tolerated no further.

#244 roninmedia

roninmedia

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (True @ Jul 28 2010, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It takes 10 seconds to download a chapter off IRC. Oh no the agony.

When it was as readily accessible as OneManga, people never bothered to learned. It's also easier to share as far as recommending a series. You just copy and paste the web address of the series you want your friend to read. Granted IRC isn't that hard, but it may appear daunting for someone using it for the first time.

I've download manga through IRC long before such sites were available.

Edited by roninmedia, 28 July 2010 - 03:42 PM.

#245 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (roninmedia @ Jul 28 2010, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When it was as readily accessible as OneManga, people never bothered to learned. It's also easier to share as far as recommending a series. You just copy and paste the web address of the series you want your friend to read. Granted IRC isn't that hard, but it may appear daunting for someone using it for the first time.

I've download manga through IRC long before such sites were available.

But then wouldn't we be seeing Raws and translated chapters rehosted on sites quicker from IRC members? I can't find Medaka Box chapter 53 and 54. sad.gif

Edited by Uzumakikage, 28 July 2010 - 06:11 PM.

#246 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Jul 27 2010, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alright. I've held out of this for a while, but I think the library analogy is wrong. And I think it's a little self-righteous to lob "Piracy!" at anyone who looks at a scanlation.

Don't think of a library. Think of radio. We are not pirates when we hear a song for "free" over the airwaves. The recording industry uses the radio industry to market their songs, radio makes money off the music. It's not a partnership, but it is a mutually exclusive thing. One truly could not survive without the other.

As for Viz media, they have let the scanlation sites run rampant out there in the world because it benefitted them. THOSE SITES ARE FREE MARKETING. If Viz did a better job of using the interwebs, then these sites wouldn't exist at all.

There are a bunch of people claiming that reading the manga online stops you from buying it. But let me ask you, how many people can buy an up-to-date copy at their local store? And it's alway in stock, unfailingly? The answer is not many, as proved by the posters in this thread.

Viz knows this! The scanlation sites fill a gap they have had no interest in until now.

The scanlation sites are there because Viz (or whoever publishes it) does not provide easily accessible, up-to-date copies. In this day and age there is no excuse. In the time it takes to print off the copies of WSJ, someone could have translated it formally, put it on a paying site and none of us would ever look at these free, poorly translated things again. Why? We'd all be paying 99 cents a week for Naruto, or $5 for premium access to all the manga you could handle.

But Viz uses these little sites as a way to perpetuate their dinosaur print-only business model. Now someone at the top has gotten wind of it, and someone waaaaaaay lower down sent out some cease-and-desist letters. And honestly, I think it's probably a knee-jerk reaction to some lagging sales. It shows action within the company with the least amount of work. Is Viz doing anything to fill this need? Not that we know of.

The people who run hobby sites like onemanga do make money off the ads. But I doubt they make much, and if you wrap that into the cost of hosting and updating, then I bet some run them at a loss.

Take this site for instance, before you go comparing your shining conscience to someone else's because you don't read "pirated" manga, think about how much money you've contributed to this site. Someone pays for it, and we all use it too!

I'm sick of people blaming the end user for doing something wrong. The company is the one who has let down it's client, not the other way around.

The publisher has promoted a wildly popular manga, but then half-asses it when it comes to translation and distribution. They have broken the inherent promise of those promotions. Of course it's going to lead to enthusiasts filling in the gap that they refuse to fill.

I don't mean to be a hard-ass, and I'm not responding to one person in general. But this same scenario has played out in the music and journalism industries.

They want the most money while making the least accomodations to their users.

And only after there has been some pain — like Napster, etc., for music, and the demise of many middle-size daily papers that pay out for shoddy national coverage instead of doing the best job locally — do they change they're model.

(And if you support Kishimoto personally, then by all means send him a personal check. Don't delude yourself into thinking that buying the manga from Barnes and Noble is a good cause. It is an unfortunate truth that the creative person is often at the end of a long line of takers.)

Viz has the ability to publish mangas online, distribute them globally, immediately, with easy translations into nearly every language, as well as inflicting neligible impact on the environment, with the net result of more money from more people and while incurring less overhead, and yet they are slow to embrace it.... I make no apologies for reading onemanga. Ultimately they're doing me a disservice, not the other way round.

And if they feel a kick in the shin from the little guy, then good. It's time for them to change.

Shannaro.

edit: been writing fight scenes this morning. can you tell? heheelq7.png

I think the better metaphor would to be compare it to cable or satellite. Most people probably feel that since they pay for internet access, they should be able to get stuff on the internet for free. Most people would certainly feel slighted if they payed for cable then had to also pay to watch channels like NBC or TBS. Also saying that VIZ should host the weekly chapters for free, that could be a thought considering they show the weekly episodes of Shippuuden for free. Unfortunately I think that would be cutting into their profits to much. And profits are the only reason a corporation really has to be in business.

Any-who, Anybody find it weird that if Onemanga is closing and gave a weeks notice, that they are still updating a lot of manga? I personally think that Onemanga is going the way of the phoenix, it is dieing to be reborn into something new. It would certainly be interesting if they were becoming part of Openmanga system.
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#247 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:30 AM

QUOTE (jim1982 @ Jul 28 2010, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any-who, Anybody find it weird that if Onemanga is closing and gave a weeks notice, that they are still updating a lot of manga? I personally think that Onemanga is going the way of the phoenix, it is dieing to be reborn into something new. It would certainly be interesting if they were becoming part of Openmanga system

Yeah, that's what i was thinking too and the statement they said that i quoted in the previous page, leads me to think so. OM has the resources to pull it of; all they need is the publishers approval.

#248 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Jul 28 2010, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, that's what i was thinking too and the statement they said that i quoted in the previous page, leads me to think so. OM has the resources to pull it of; all they need is the publishers approval.

Yea, and if they get official licensing, lower quality scans could get a update and polish. Certainly would be worth a subscription fee, as long as it wasn't a huge fee. (I say anything between 5 and 10 a month would be a decent cost, anything thing more would kinda negate the concept as then it would be cheeper to grab the volumes as they come out.)
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#249 Serenity Namikaze

Serenity Namikaze

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:44 AM

I'm a little sad yet I've expected it. I know it's not an excuse but I read my manga on Onemanga because I know that I can find many titles and not just the popular one. Since I don't have much time, if some of you know a legal site that provide the same quality but also the quantity as Onemanga then I'll gladly pay the fees because I agree that an artist should receive the benefice of his hard work ( as long as the money that is send DOES pay mainly or exclusively the artist).

As for buying the manga when they release them in Canada ( I don't know if it's long in US but this particular market in Canada is not very popular, especially where I come form, so it's take sometime one year) I hate that it's take too much time but I always buy the manga that I love.

Finally, I love taking a free glimpse at first if I think the manga will provide me satisfaction and if the first book got me interested to read the rest then I buy the stuff. I'm the kind of customer that like to taste a sample of the product before buying it because, in that way, I can have a more valid opinion about it and while I take the opinion of other, I usually prefer judging myself before buying.

#250 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:30 AM

QUOTE (jim1982 @ Jul 28 2010, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the better metaphor would to be compare it to cable or satellite. Most people probably feel that since they pay for internet access, they should be able to get stuff on the internet for free. Most people would certainly feel slighted if they payed for cable then had to also pay to watch channels like NBC or TBS.

That happens, however. Not with NBC or TBS, obviously. But most channels past one hundred are premium and you will drop some dollars to watch them. Game Show Network, G4, the HBO's, Showtimes and so on; each are a charge slapped on your bill, whether they come with the digital upgrade or are priced individually.

It's also a rough metaphor when you consider Pay Per View. You don't get that for free because you have cable. Similar situation here, I think; manga, comics and so on should be the Pay Per View of the internet. It should have been in place already, but I guess the internet doesn't have it's Vince McMahon to push the idea forward like with PPV.

Otherwise, I think you make an interesting comparison.

Edited by dl316bh, 29 July 2010 - 04:30 AM.

bd5.jpg

#251 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:31 PM

Good news: OM's life has been prolonged enough to at least host one last WSJ viewing. Check up their update.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#252 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (Newkerz @ Jul 29 2010, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good news: OM's life has been prolonged enough to at least host one last WSJ viewing. Check up their update.

Lol, i wouldn't be surprise if they say the same thing next week. fu.png

#253 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Jul 29 2010, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol, i wouldn't be surprise if they say the same thing next week. fu.png

This can only mean one thing!

ONEMANGA'S A ZOMBIE!!!! argh1.png argh1.png

#254 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Jul 29 2010, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This can only mean one thing!

ONEMANGA'S A ZOMBIE!!!! argh1.png argh1.png

Did someone call for an Exterminator?

#255 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:34 PM

OneManga

Looks like OM is shutting down for good this time and doesn't seem like they had anything to do,with OpenManga. sad.gif

Edited by Uzumakikage, 01 August 2010 - 02:35 PM.

#256 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:41 PM

R.I.P shamefulcry0js.gif I'll miss you so I have invested so many hours into this website. Goodbye large portion of my free time. Now I have to download all my manga sad.gif

JLHza2T.png

#257 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (Kamina-Yoshi @ Jul 29 2010, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did someone call for an Exterminator?

Maybe we can hire him to kill the staff of Shueisha? fu.png

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#258 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:32 PM

That's just overkill. Then we'd have mangademonium. All those mangaka running around, without an editorial staff to guide them...

#259 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (Paradox Jast @ Aug 1 2010, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's just overkill. Then we'd have mangademonium. All those mangaka running around, without an editorial staff to guide them...

Noooo! That would be a nightmare. argh1.png

#260 TheBerserkMoogle

TheBerserkMoogle

Cute and Fuzzy. Deadly too.

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:33 PM

There's no way that would end well. Only way that could get any worse is if you hired Chuck Norris...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users