• This topic is locked This topic is locked
267 replies to this topic

#221 TheBugNinja

TheBugNinja

Sasuke's mortal enemy

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:anime, basketball, and writing.

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE (Miss Soupy @ Jul 27 2010, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's pretty obvious that onemanga is not = to libraries... This idea of 'legal piracy' itself doesn't make any sense, since piracy is unauthorized use of something. Libraries are authorized, onemanga is not. Books in libraries are not free. You need to be a member usually to rent a book or movie, which involves a small fee to begin with. The rest is covered by taxes or donations. If you lose the item, you pay for it. You must share all the items so it is not guaranteed that you will get to use it whenever you wish. Also, you cannot do anything you want with the rented items. Online manga allows you the opportunity to peruse it whenever you wish. It isn't shared in the same way as a book might be because it is always available. You can also download and alter manga however you want, unlike any item at the library which is borrowed. You don't have to wait your turn, you use it however you want, it is always there and is in no way authorized by the government. If it were to be like an actual online library, they would probably allow you to browse manga titles for a subscription like they do with books.

Bingo.

"legal piracy" is like "reverse racism." Either something is pirated, or it's legal. Can't be both.
I'm not cynical- I'm right.

#222 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:02 AM

QUOTE (Strangelove @ Jul 27 2010, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well...its been a week...and One Manga is still on...what they should do is basically shut down their site...

It's only been 5 days.
Pretty bored.

#223 Guest_Aethos_*

Guest_Aethos_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:53 AM

QUOTE (TheBugNinja @ Jul 28 2010, 03:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bingo.

"legal piracy" is like "reverse racism." Either something is pirated, or it's legal. Can't be both.

Okay last post I'm going to make on this subject but I'm just going to say what I said over at NF considering I feel this addresses everything in a way that everyone can understand.

Fine! The library analogy was a bad idea even though it's pretty obvious that people who go and take out books at the library will NEVER go and actually buy the same book they just took out and read for free. Thus making it no different in my eyes considering the publishers are being screwed out of money by the people who probably would have to buy the book if libraries didn't give the average joe free access to them, but apparently you can't win every battle. I should have just used radio instead.

and no one is saying that Viz should only put samples up. There were arguments that Viz should put up full scanlations of current chapters for free on their website. Which is why I brought up the whole damn thing in the first place. Because the people who are arguing for people to go out and buy the official release still want their kitten for free as long as it's at a legal source where they don't have to worry about legal reprimands. To me that's a hypocritical viewpoint because it makes them no different than the people who are complaining because they liked using onemanga. They preach consumerism yet would rather not have to actually pay as long as they can read it on the company's website. At least the people not jumping on that bandwagon can at least admit they're pirates instead of acting like they're the better person because they PRETEND to be consumers while still pirating stuff on the side.

Perhaps I should have worded it better in the past, but this was my point the whole time. Those people are hypocrites and they have no right telling people they should go and buy the official release when they secretly don't want to pay for it either. Also if you're going to argue that libraries and radio are perfectly legitimate venues then I would still argue that onemanga is for manga fans what libraries are to book readers, and radio is to music junkies. In the end they're all giving out free services to promote creative works, but onemanga and other sites are bad because they aren't controlled through government spending? It's not like these guys were making a profit or anything.

My other point was that if you're going to say online manga reading is bad because of giving out free services for manga readers then why not take it a step further and proclaim all institutions even public ones that give out free services regarding creative works as being illegal and illegitimate? If we have to support the creative process THAT much then we shouldn't get anything for free. We should be forced to go to book stores and buy instead of going to libraries and taking out books for free. We should be forced to buy all music and have no other mediums like radio or TV promoting it. Heck why not even say we shouldn't have TV? It's cutting into TV show box set sales because why would anyone buy those when they can watch hulu or TV reruns? We should shut those down and force people to buy DVDs instead of letting people view it for the low cost of three minutes of advertisements to the consumer. That's just how ridiculous and extreme this whole copyright bullsh** is pushing it. Remove letting people have a choice on if they want to buy or not.

#224 Guest_Aethos_*

Guest_Aethos_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:00 AM

I'm not gonna say anymore on the matter, Aethos. If you want to think that libraries are all pirating books and making money themselves, go right ahead. I'll keep paying my taxes and have my library stock up on good books.

Okay then. You want to prove me wrong? Every time you take a book out of the library. Go to your local book store after you've read each book, and BUY the same book full price. Considering you paying taxes doesn't mean kitten since it probably goes to social security and health care more than it does the local library.

#225 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,846 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:04 AM

This is the second time I caught you double-posting, Aethos.

Please use the Edit button.

*paperwork are a coming!*

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#226 Saku-chan

Saku-chan

Strudel Mistress

• ANBU
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:15 AM

Whoa whoa whoa. What point are we even arguing anymore here? Please tie your responses back to the topic more clearly even when responding to other member's posts.

(Also, let's cool it down, yeah? It's getting really heated in here. Comics aren't worth making enemies over.)
tumblr_np7x15rJxi1qafgx9o1_500.gif

#227 Guest_Aethos_*

Guest_Aethos_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:21 AM

QUOTE (Derock @ Jul 28 2010, 05:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is the second time I caught you double-posting, Aethos.

Please use the Edit button.

*paperwork are a coming!*

I only did so once, and that was right now.

and I love the irony of how the staff was so quick to crack down their rules on me considering I wasn't the only one breaking rules in this thread.

#228 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,846 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE (Aethos @ Jul 28 2010, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and I love the irony of how the staff was so quick to crack down their rules on me considering I wasn't the only one breaking rules in this thread.

Look at page 10.

latest?cb=20140126021943

#229 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:37 AM

QUOTE (Aethos @ Jul 27 2010, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay it doesn't matter who was breaking thread rules, let's just say everyone broke the rules and stop fighting. It's really annoying to listen to people fight when they could set aside their differences and agree to disagree.

JLHza2T.png

#230 Guest_Aethos_*

Guest_Aethos_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:38 AM

Look I know the staff hates me and that I'm not very well liked on here Derock, but when someone reports a post the staff could at least attempt to enforce rules instead of just sitting back, and doing nothing just because it's someone they don't like who reported it.

#231 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:03 AM

QUOTE (Aethos @ Jul 28 2010, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look I know the staff hates me and that I'm not very well liked on here Derock, but when someone reports a post the staff could at least attempt to enforce rules instead of just sitting back, and doing nothing just because it's someone they don't like who reported it.

First and foremost:

Do NOT ever tell us how we can do our job properly when majority of us have normal lives to tend with, especially towards me. That's being very rude.

Second:

If you have a problem here, especially with the staff, please leave. For sake of not having anymore drama at our plate.

latest?cb=20140126021943

#232 Guest_Aethos_*

Guest_Aethos_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:17 AM

QUOTE (Derock @ Jul 28 2010, 06:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First and foremost:

Do NOT ever tell us how we can do our job properly when majority of us have normal lives to tend with, especially towards me. That's being very rude.

Second:

If you have a problem here, especially with the staff, please leave. For sake of not having anymore drama at our plate.

First and foremost I understand that I don't have the most popular view here, but I still felt that it should be discussed anyways. If only to stir up the conversation.

Secondly. I feel I have a right to tell you how to do your job when you aren't doing it at all. Considering all the "we enforce the rules to make this place respectable and fun for everyone" motto you have for this forum, and also the fact that I did what the rules say I should do in regards to using the report function instead of blowing my top. It's apparent to me that certain people aren't practicing what they preach. Or does that only pertain to people you don't like? Cause I see you have no trouble coming to the defense of people you do like.

And finally. It wouldn't matter if I left or not as you would still have tons of drama on your plates that I'm not even a part of. Don't place all your kitten on me just cause it's convenient. If you think I'm going to let you walk all over me you're deadly mistaken. And this? This isn't even drama. This is me being just plain straight up with you.

#233 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:25 AM

QUOTE (Aethos @ Jul 28 2010, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First and foremost I understand that I don't have the most popular view here, but I still felt that it should be discussed anyways. If only to stir up the conversation.

Secondly. I feel I have a right to tell you how to do your job when you aren't doing it at all. Considering all the "we enforce the rules to make this place respectable and fun for everyone" motto you have for this forum, and also the fact that I did what the rules say I should do in regards to using the report function instead of blowing my top. It's apparent to me that certain people aren't practicing what they preach. Or does that only pertain to people you don't like? Cause I see you have no trouble coming to the defense of people you do like.

And finally. It wouldn't matter if I left or not as you would still have tons of drama on your plates that I'm not even a part of. Don't place all your kitten on me just cause it's convenient. If you think I'm going to let you walk all over me you're deadly mistaken. And this? This isn't even drama. This is me being just plain straight up with you.

Your whole point is that you think that people saying go to the library and buy the manga are hypocrites because library books are what you see as free is what I'm getting is that right? You're arguing it's stupid to say Viz should crackdown on scanlations and then say Viz should post the whole thing for free on their site. If someone said that here I'm probably at fault for not reading it, but I haven't seen it so. I do think that to say that the only reason Viz should put them on their site for free is for ownership rules it would still be ridiculous so it is hypocritical to suggest that while shutting down scanlations which you see as expanding viewership for the manga to be bought itself.

Also Radio isn't the greatest option if you're saying it's free, because then there is Satellite Radio which costs something but gives you greater options and less commericals in some cases. Pandora is also free and allows you to sample things that are the same taste as the song you request. That stuff on the radio is paid for by record labels to play. The only reason it's explored is because someone is paying them to play it. So it's not the best analogy to use, it's just a heads up.

Edited by Insurrection, 28 July 2010 - 05:34 AM.

#234 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:26 AM

I think we should close the thread for better good. facepalm.png

#235 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:37 AM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Jul 28 2010, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think we should close the thread for better good. facepalm.png

No we shouldn't because then it says that we quit when faced with something. Closing the thread just because one person has an opposing view that turns sour shouldn't be enough to shut down something I thought was productive.

Otherwise I'd say close other threads too. People have strong opinions about certain things does that mean they have the right to namecall? No. But who is the better person the person who tries to explain their arguement or the person who spits in the others face.

Edited by Insurrection, 28 July 2010 - 05:40 AM.

#236 Saku-chan

Saku-chan

Strudel Mistress

• ANBU
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:42 AM

We will not close the thread because this is a pretty important topic for all of us fans. OneManga has been a staple in my manga reading for a long time and I know other people have similar experiences. It's unfortunate that some drama had to derail the thread, but we are dealing with that situation on our end. Let's rise above this and return to sharing our thoughts and opinions on the recent actions of OM respectfully.

(Also, if you feel like you're not making headway in a debate, please agree to disagree and move on.)
tumblr_np7x15rJxi1qafgx9o1_500.gif

#237 Guest_Aethos_*

Guest_Aethos_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:47 AM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Jul 28 2010, 05:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your whole point is that you think that people saying go to the library and buy the manga are hypocrites because library books are what you see as free is what I'm getting is that right? You're arguing it's stupid to say Viz should crackdown on scanlations and then say Viz should post the whole thing for free on their site. If someone said that here I'm probably at fault for not reading it, but I haven't seen it so. I do think that to say that the only reason Viz should put them on their site for free is for ownership rules it would still be ridiculous so it is hypocritical to suggest that while shutting down scanlations which you see as expanding viewership for the manga to be bought itself.

Also Radio isn't the greatest option if you're saying it's free, because then there is Satellite Radio which costs something but gives you greater options and less commericals in some cases. Pandora is also free and allows you to sample things that are the same taste as the song you request. That stuff on the radio is paid for by record labels to play. The only reason it's explored is because someone is paying them to play it. So it's not the best analogy to use, it's just a heads up.

Well if you think about it. Nothing's really free, but thank you for your considerate comments. It's the first one I've heard in this thread.

But I guess I will just agree to disagree in order to get things back on track.

#238 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:05 AM

QUOTE (Aethos @ Jul 28 2010, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well if you think about it. Nothing's really free, but thank you for your considerate comments. It's the first one I've heard in this thread.

But I guess I will just agree to disagree in order to get things back on track.

EGO BOOST +7 kruemelmonsteryn0.gif

I AM PEACEMAKER!!! pictureem0.gif heheelq7.png *I'm just kiddin* Thanks though.

Also I just read this rumor on another site, Viz has tried speading up releases anyone know if that's true?

Edited by Insurrection, 28 July 2010 - 06:17 AM.

#239 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:07 AM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Jul 28 2010, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No we shouldn't because then it says that we quit when faced with something. Closing the thread just because one person has an opposing view that turns sour shouldn't be enough to shut down something I thought was productive.

Otherwise I'd say close other threads too. People have strong opinions about certain things does that mean they have the right to namecall? No. But who is the better person the person who tries to explain their arguement or the person who spits in the others face.

Yeah i see your point.

So what next? We're not really sure at this point, but we have some ideas we would like to try out.

I picked this quote out on OM's pop-up message. This statement intrigues me and makes me wonder if the OM staff is part of OpenManga coming out. What do you guys think?

#240 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Jul 28 2010, 01:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I picked this quote out on OM's pop-up message. This statement intrigues me and makes me wonder if the OM staff is part of OpenManga coming out. What do you guys think?

That would actually make a lot of sense. Onemanga was huge in terms of Supply and operation and if Openmanga hires that type of resource with there own *snap* instant archives.

Though hopefully Openmanga would clean up the issues that Onemanga had. There's always a bigger fish.

Edited by Insurrection, 28 July 2010 - 06:14 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users