• This topic is locked This topic is locked
241 replies to this topic

#181 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,073 posts
  • Interests:I'm still alive! more active on twitter :)

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

^Dude, you've never watched the series, have you? You can come back to this when you're done with it. But..you said you would never watch it so sweatdrop.gif Just don't talk about things you don't know.

ナルサク

#182 Sakamaki Izayoi

Sakamaki Izayoi

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE (sushi. @ Dec 29 2012, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^Dude, you've never watched the series, have you? You can come back to this when you're done with it. But..you said you would never watch it so sweatdrop.gif Just don't talk about things you don't know.

Wut.
Main character with her love interest?
SK-303_image007.jpg

#183 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:56 AM

I'm not as ga-ga over Avatar as the rest of the net seems to be, but it was a fun enough show. Shipping in the fandom, however, was pretty ****ed. It was pretty clear where any romantic plots were going right from the start. That's not to say shipping non-canon pairings or anything other than the obvious is bad, but somehow it got to be like a blood feud, with both switching between smug superiority and the thought that what they said held more weight the louder and more forcefully they argued.

I was just like "wow, sometimes I think shippers want to kill each other even more than religious extremists".
bd5.jpg

#184 kidNinja

kidNinja

Ruining your life since 1992

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:08 AM

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Dec 29 2012, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not as ga-ga over Avatar as the rest of the net seems to be, but it was a fun enough show. Shipping in the fandom, however, was pretty ****ed. It was pretty clear where any romantic plots were going right from the start. That's not to say shipping non-canon pairings or anything other than the obvious is bad, but somehow it got to be like a blood feud, with both switching between smug superiority and the thought that what they said held more weight the louder and more forcefully they argued.

I was just like "wow, sometimes I think shippers want to kill each other even more than religious extremists".

It's funny because NS/NH/SS wars are eerily similar to the Kataang and Zutara wars. Bleach shipping wars are quite different from Naruto/Avatar shipping wars. They seem to be more like philosophic debates. I don't care much for Bleach anymore but it's a change of pace from what you see on a Naruto or Avatar forum.

Edited by kidNinja, 30 December 2012 - 02:08 AM.

NaruSaku...we believe in logic NOT fanfiction

Check out my story, Chain Reaction: Iron Revolution here

#185 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,073 posts
  • Interests:I'm still alive! more active on twitter :)

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE (Dαrkrєrsŧ @ Dec 30 2012, 02:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wut.
Main character with her love interest?

wut. I just said you shouldn't discuss avatar shipping when you never watched LoK.

ナルサク

#186 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:12 AM

QUOTE (SugarJunkE @ Dec 29 2012, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dang nab it but don't worry I should be thanking you for telling me I wouldn't wanna continue running around with incorrect information happy.gif .Well I will continue to simply float along on my baseless piece of drywood cause cannon's overrated anyways tongue.gif.

Sorry. I guess it was better for me to tell you in a polite way then some random rabid fan being all up in your grill.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#187 GlucoseGlutton

GlucoseGlutton

Professional Trash

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:SakuHina tbh

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:37 AM

QUOTE (James S Cassidy @ Dec 29 2012, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry. I guess it was better for me to tell you in a polite way then some random rabid fan being all up in your grill.

No need to apologize happy.gif rabid fans are something I'd like to do without.

tumblr_mvi3cfp7Sy1rb7h2eo3_500.jpg

#188 Candleguy

Candleguy

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

This thread would make a lot more sense if the manga was ending in the next two chapters

Anyone who has ever read AirGear can understand where I'm coming from.

#189 Weltall

Weltall

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:03 AM

QUOTE (redragon88 @ Dec 29 2012, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How was Oro's return foreshadowed? Can you explain?

@Weltall - I would like your opinion as well.

I really don't want to go over this again so I'll keep it short : they were many hints here and there, Oro altough supposedely sealed still had a lot of relevance in the plot and in actual events in the manga (Danzo, Mazdara and not too long ago the scroll) Oro's involvement never died even when he was sealed but the most significant hint was the white snake, the first time the white snake was mentioned was when Oro was sealed by Sasuke Sarutobi described it as a symbol of rebirth and return then when Itachi sealed they were 3 white snakes who left Sasuke's bodies (a little detail that is always overlooked, it's just a little panel but you can clearly see them) and not one like most people tought ( reread these chapters and check it yourself) 2 of them are burnt and one escaped, it was clear that Kishi always left the door open for Oro's return.

#190 KnS

KnS

感じの作家

• ANBU
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Writing

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:45 AM

QUOTE (redragon88 @ Dec 29 2012, 03:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How was Oro's return foreshadowed? Can you explain?

@Weltall - I would like your opinion as well.

Sorry, redragon88, I must have missed this question. My answer is that I came to the conclusion through a synthesis of manga facts and intuition. I figured Orochimaru would return because:

+ He was set up as a major villain from the beginning.

+ He was an evil genius pursuing immortality, who hated the frailty of human life, who wanted to learn every jutsu in the world. That's a sweeping goal that has the potential to last to the end of the story.

+ Orochimaru has a history of collaborating with other villains with different agendas in order to advance his own. I wondered if there would be complications later with Obito!Madara, considering how much Orochimaru despised Akatsuki.

+ He left pieces of his soul and consciousness within cursed seals on his trainees -- Anko, Kimimaro, Kabuto, etc. -- making it possible for him to pivot and avoid ultimate death.

+ While he sometimes made mistakes against opponents, he was usually several steps ahead mentally and prepared with fallback plans.

+ Most importantly, he completed the Edo Tensei from the work begun by Tobirama. Once Kabuto began to take on more and more of Orochimaru's appearance and mannerisms, and the Edo Tensei resurfaced in the story as key to the war, I began to suspect that Kishimoto was using Kabuto to advance Orochimaru in the story while making it seem that was impossible because Orochimaru was "dead."

In general, such a character is by definition likely to be in hiding, having survived apparent "death" only to resurface at the right time. Also, I always felt that Orochimaru's training of Sasuke had been interrupted by Sasuke's focus on revenge, and that there would be more to Orochimaru's mentoring of Sasuke.

So... like many other pending events in this story, the details that gave me the impression Orochimaru would return could have meant something else or nothing at all. I didn't know exactly how he would return, but I had a specific gut feeling that he would.

#191 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:51 AM

QUOTE (Candleguy @ Dec 29 2012, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This thread would make a lot more sense if the manga was ending in the next two chapters

I admit, I never saw AirGear.
My gofundme

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#192 kirabook

kirabook

Examiner

• ANBU
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:58 AM

Read Air Gear for a while in the beginning... not sure when I dropped it, but I dropped it soon after there didn't seem to be a plot anymore, which was quick. If there were shipping wars, I never got into it. There was so much uninteresting fan service that it annoyed the crap out of me. Not sure if it improved, but meh.

Naruto isn't nearly on that level.... I hope Kishi never sinks that low. Fan service decreases the quality of the manga big time, leave the fan service to the uncanon anime and movies.

Posted Image

Sig made by me though. XD

Check out my father and son Minato and Naruto group on FF.net
http://www.fanfictio..._No_Yaoi/74936/

#193 redragon88

redragon88

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:07 AM

QUOTE (Candleguy @ Dec 29 2012, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would you care to elaborate? I've never read Air Gear but I hear that it was implied that the main character was going to end up with a secondary girl, but later turned out be the main tsundere love interest. Basically what we are hoping for it to turn out with this manga.

Is my assumption of Air Gear wrong? Given your comment about this thread making more sense if the manga ended now.

Anyone that has read Air Gear please let me know. smile.gif

@Weltall and KnS

Thanks for your replies. smile.gif

#194 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:09 AM

Even if a pairing is already been planned from the beginning, it doesn't stop the creator to add some fun and nod to other pairings. In Avatar, I remember the preview for Season 3, girls were screaming anything with Zuko and Kataara moments, yet here we are now. So yeah, you can do a fanservice moment, but don't let it override your story.

#195 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:11 AM

QUOTE (kirabook @ Dec 29 2012, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Read Air Gear for a while in the beginning... not sure when I dropped it, but I dropped it soon after there didn't seem to be a plot anymore, which was quick. If there were shipping wars, I never got into it. There was so much uninteresting fan service that it annoyed the crap out of me. Not sure if it improved, but meh.

Naruto isn't nearly on that level.... I hope Kishi never sinks that low. Fan service decreases the quality of the manga big time, leave the fan service to the uncanon anime and movies.

It's funny, but High School of the Dead seemed to be the reversed and that's why I liked it. It had HUGE fanservice (and it didn't try to deny it), but eventually when it got rolling the story got more interesting and soon it wasn't about the boobs and panty shots.

I thought of Naruto being like that. At first it's all silly and with fanservice, but by Shippuden took on a more serious role. We still got comedy every now and then, but not like it was in the beginning.

Now...I don't know. It seems like Kishi is starting to...not go backwards, but not be so serious anymore and just doing stuff just to do it. Not real reason. It's like what I said about Sasuke and him taking this "side journey" with Orochimaru. Was it really needed or is it used to stall so Naruto can deal with Obito and Madara first? Wait...maybe that what this scene is doing. I may be stretching it here, but what if this scene was to stall NaruSaku being canon?

Edited by James S Cassidy, 30 December 2012 - 05:13 AM.

My gofundme

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#196 Don-kun

Don-kun

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Interests:Music, Electronics, Driving car, Traveling and NaruSaku.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:24 AM

QUOTE (James S Cassidy @ Dec 30 2012, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's funny, but High School of the Dead seemed to be the reversed and that's why I liked it. It had HUGE fanservice (and it didn't try to deny it), but eventually when it got rolling the story got more interesting and soon it wasn't about the boobs and panty shots.

I thought of Naruto being like that. At first it's all silly and with fanservice, but by Shippuden took on a more serious role. We still got comedy every now and then, but not like it was in the beginning.

Now...I don't know. It seems like Kishi is starting to...not go backwards, but not be so serious anymore and just doing stuff just to do it. Not real reason. It's like what I said about Sasuke and him taking this "side journey" with Orochimaru. Was it really needed or is it used to stall so Naruto can deal with Obito and Madara first? Wait...maybe that what this scene is doing. I may be stretching it here, but what if this scene was to stall NaruSaku being canon?

Tell me more about High School of the Dead is the main guy still fooling around with the sword girl or he stated to focus on the main girl again?

#197 kidNinja

kidNinja

Ruining your life since 1992

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:31 AM

QUOTE (James S Cassidy @ Dec 29 2012, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's like what I said about Sasuke and him taking this "side journey" with Orochimaru. Was it really needed or is it used to stall so Naruto can deal with Obito and Madara first? Wait...maybe that what this scene is doing. I may be stretching it here, but what if this scene was to stall NaruSaku being canon?

That really....makes a lot of sense! A lot of times we as fans say "what the hell Kishi?!" when a chapter is first released and some questionable scenes occur but as time passes, "what the hell Kishi turns into "Kishi is a genius/trolling mastermind!" Hence why there is a LOT of Naruto content under the fridge brilliance section on the TV Tropes site.
NaruSaku...we believe in logic NOT fanfiction

Check out my story, Chain Reaction: Iron Revolution here

#198 Slextrem

Slextrem

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
  • Interests:I have many interests in life and reading manga happens to be one of them. My favorite pairing is definitely NaruSaku.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE (redragon88 @ Dec 29 2012, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would you care to elaborate? I've never read Air Gear but I hear that it was implied that the main character was going to end up with a secondary girl, but later turned out be the main tsundere love interest. Basically what we are hoping for it to turn out with this manga.

Is my assumption of Air Gear wrong? Given your comment about this thread making more sense if the manga ended now.

Anyone that has read Air Gear please let me know. smile.gif

In Air Gear, the hero Ikki starts off with a crush on a secondary character, Simca. The heroine of the story, Ringo, has feelings for him but keeps them to herself, more or less. I suppose she's the most similar to a Tsundere... She's the one to put him back in his place whenever he steps out of line, but she's a lot gentler than Sakura. Eventually a third girl is brought into the mix, Kururu. For a while, it almost looks like Ikki and Kururu are going to become cannon. They seem to have mutual feelings for one another. Ultimately, it's implied that Ikki ends up with Ringo, if my memory serves me correctly. It's been a long time since I last looked at Air Gear.

Edited by Slextrem, 30 December 2012 - 06:13 AM.

#199 Chucky-kun

Chucky-kun

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:13 AM

Haha, if you wanna talk about pairing debates, go read Rosario vampire. That thing is quite literally a harem with one main girl and one main guy. Hell, two of the girls in the harem even kissed.

c1a2d1a877.jpg

#200 kirabook

kirabook

Examiner

• ANBU
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

I think one of the mangas with lots of main characters, yet the obvious main pairing would be Mahou Sensei Negima.... I probably need to catch up on it, but I ended up dropping it due to loss of interest. XD

I can't imagine Naruto having THAT many.... 'distractions'. I will give Kishi one thing, he makes the fan service slightly relevant. At least it wasn't something stupid like Naruto randomly tripping over a rock and grabbing Hinata's boob. Naruto's a pervert, but it seems the only time he's interested in other women is if he can get a peak of them in the bath. But other than that... you don't really see him blushing around other girls his age or giving any real indication of any romance for them like commonly seen in other mangas when the author is definitely using the triangle or polygon logic.

Posted Image

Sig made by me though. XD

Check out my father and son Minato and Naruto group on FF.net
http://www.fanfictio..._No_Yaoi/74936/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users