• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#1 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

I know for a fact I'm not the only one excited about the new season of Chuck, as I have force fed Chuck to some of you already. With today being the day I have waited for the last gazillion months or so, I decided to open a Chuck-thread for every old and new Chuck fans to come in and talk about the coolest nerd-spy on the air: Chuck Bartowski. Before I start, remember the rules about bashing and watch your language. We'll hit down hard on bashers, so respect that others might have another opinion.

Synopsis

Imagine working your ass off in an Ivy League school, only for your best friend to frame you for cheating on a final exam resulting in you getting kicked out of school. This was what happened to our hero, Chuck, when he got kicked out of Stanford when framed by his best friend Bryce. Without his diploma, Chuck started working at an electronics store, the Buy More, where he fixes computers and whatever electronic devices you can break. For years, that was his life. He was bitter because his friend got him kicked out of school, and he was struggling to get over his girlfriend who also ended up cheating on him with Bryce.

The show really starts when we learn that Bryce is a spy, and that he stole the code for a super computer known as the Intersect, full of all the intelligence CIA etc could put into it, before he destroyed the original, leaving him with the only Intersect in the world. But breaking into a secret base full of well trained spies isn't easy, even if you're a James Bond wannabe, and Bryce gets caught... but not before he sends the code to Chuck. The intersect ends up in Chuck's head, and with it he gains the ability to "flash", or see images of information on things and people he can see in his daily life. Suddenly, Chuck goes from a regular nobody to the most important person in the world. Every secret agency wants to get their shady hands on Chuck and his ability, so the CIA and NSA sends their best agents to keep him safe until they can figure out how to fix this whole thing.

And that's how Chuck's life turns into a national secret. Leading a double life, he comes along on important missions as a source of information, but he has zero training and has no idea what he's doing. He's the brains, where his handlers are the brawn... this leads to funny situations, especially when one opposing agency of rouge agents catches the trail of the Intersect.

The main cast --Click here to view--

Left to right: Chuck's sister Ellie, Major John Casey (NSA), Chuck, Sarah Walker (CIA)(Chuck's love interest), Morgan Grimes (Best friend)

The cast of this show is absolutely brilliant, and you can't help but love them all. If you're fans of music, you'll need to get to season two so you can fanboy the brilliant duo: JEFFSTER!! Well, I can't praise the cast more, so I'll just have you all check it out yourself, so I'll provide links to torrents for the first two seasons, and I'll update with links to season 3 episodes as they air. Enjoy!

Torrents
Season one
Season two
Season 3 torrents here <-Updated every monday night (tuesdays for me)

Now, let's talk Chuck guys. I pass the baton to my fellow Chucksters: Rick and True!

#2 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

I bow, I bow!

I've loved this show from the start, just haven't been able to keep up to date. I really hope there isn't another struggle to sign this to another season after the third like there was after the second season. Fact is, it needs a more consistent viewer-base in the US. One of the NBC folks was quoted as saying something like 'though that many people show up to petition for another season of Chuck, it doesn't mean they actually consistently watch it, as the ratings show.'

US folk, support the show by buying the DVDs here and here.

INSERT USUAL CHOUZU SIDE-NOTE Yvonne Stahovksi's (hottie Agent Sarah Walker in the show) likeliness and voice will appear as the character Miranda Lawson in the game Mass Effect 2. Adam Baldwin, who plays Agent John Casey in the show will also be lending his voice talent to the game.

Edited by chouzu_tao, 10 January 2010 - 02:53 PM.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#3 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:49 AM

Hell yeah dude Chuck is freaking awesome! It is formulaic in its episodes but that doesn't take away from its Action/Comedy combo which is great to watch. Looking to start off the year with more epic season three!!

#4 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:35 AM

Wasn't sure about the start of Season 3.

I cheered, of course, when Emmett was killed -- my least favorite character of the bunch.

I didn't like the way they torched the Sarah-Chuck romance to the ground, and only barely started building it back up again -- I understand restoring romantic tension but the way they did it was... unpleasant. (I understand the need to maintain a romantic tension in the lead couple, but I think some series take it too far. Many only break that romantic tension too late, not bringing the couple together until well after the show has already jumped the shark) In this case, I fear that the way they've restored that romantic tension, they've damaged some of the chemistry which made the first two seasons so good.

On the other hand, I love that the Intersect 2.0 is a lemon (though I felt they could have done it better), and I think they would be well off if they started trying to train Chuck to be able to operate at least somewhat effectively without the Intersect -- they seem WAY to insistant on "make him flash" being their method of operation.

I loved the return of Corrina. I'd like to see her become something of a returning character... though she didn't feel quite like the same Corrina we saw in Season 1. Ah, well.

I also felt intrigued by General Beckman's plea, at the end, to be allowed to brief the team on what they're up against; it would certainly be interesting. She used the name "Shaw," which feels vaguely... familiar, though I can't place it in context of the show. I wonder who that guy is.

I miss Anna, and wish Scott Bakula had been able to come back as a regular to be Chuck's Dad\Intersect 1.0. Then again, I understand they had less budget, and had to make do with fewer regular actors\actresses than past seasons.

Again, a mixed bag. I felt it kind of picked up at the end, and I remember not particularly liking the pilot at first, either, so we'll see how I feel later on in the series.

(BTW, leading into this season, I had just watched a marathon of Chuck Seasons 1 + 2 on DVD, finishing season 2 less than ten minutes before Season 3 began; the quality was off.

And I thought they were supposed to change Sarah's shop every season? Why does she still work at the Orange Orange... (or maybe they intend to change it later on in the season. Hm...)

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#5 Vyse

Vyse

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:14 PM

Season 3 thoughts --Click here to view--
I just finished the first two episodes of this season, and I'm glad to see my fav show back on the air. I watched the first two seasons over the holiday with my younger sister, and I got her hooked on the show as well.

The first two episodes tied up what happened between season two and three, and I choose to think the reasoning behind the time skip has something to do with how the time we had to wait for this one. It just feels easier to accept the wait then, although it's probably because Intersect 2.0 was supposed to turn Bryce into James Bond 2.0, but ended up in the untrained mind of Chuck instead, resulting in training.

The characters worked well as usual. The return of Jeff and Lester had me laughing a bit, and they're as enjoyable as I remember. I felt bad for Morgan, but he got what was coming to him in the end anyway... good job bearded man.

Chuck felt off in the first episode though, but I feel as if he returned more to how he's supposed to be in episode two. I agree with desaix on the forceful flashing, and I think Chuck works better if he's impulsive and awkward like he usually is. I want more Chuck Fu fighting, but I wouldn't mind his pacifist nature taking the same role as it used to.

Anyway, a big YAY for season 3 starting up. I'm happy that we'll get 19 episodes as opposed to the 13 they originally intended to do. IGN visited the show when they were filming episode 11, so they're probably pretty far into the season... *SQUEE* I can't wait to the next episode wow.png

#6 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:13 PM

Last night's episode seemed to be bringing the show back to its old self, although I don't think they showed the Buymore or any of its employees once.

Chuck wasn't being pushed to 'flash' as much as he had been in the first two season 3 episodes, which is a good thing. I hope they stay away from that.

I am starting to get a bit concerned for Devin's future. He has not been in several of the Season 3 Promotional materials, and they've already killed off someone I wasn't expecting them to (Emmett, though I absolutely hated him and was glad to see him go). If Captain Awesome doesn't survive the next episode, it might hurt my continued viewing of the show.

I looked up some spoilers and saw a Sarah love-interest is going to show up next episode (in the character played by Brandon Routh). Not looking forward to that -- despite what they think, the 'romantic tension' is NOT aided by that kind of thing. In interviews, the creators seem to think people like them utterly destroying the Chuck-Sarah dynamic, which doesn't appeal to me at all.

Despite those concerns, I think it's likely that the next episode is sure to be Awesome!

Edited by desaix, 12 January 2010 - 07:13 PM.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#7 Vyse

Vyse

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:40 PM

Yeah, the third episode of this season was a horrible cliffhanger. I'm typing on my cellphone on the train atm, so I don't want to bother with spoilers, so I'll keep it at that. Can't wait for next week! ^^

#8 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:32 AM

Man three hours of Chuck all in one week? It can't get any better. I'm already liking the new season, but agree with desaix about the romantic-tension being dragged out. We've already gone through two seasons of this, it can only hold so much weight over time before it gets tiresome after three seasons. I'd like for them to try something new besides the usual spy can't love, and bringing in a love interest for both Chuck and Sarah. Something more refreshing!

season 3 spoilers --Click here to view--
Captain Awesome getting a bigger role in the series? Hell yes! I liked how they played his character more into the plot at the end of last season and would definitely welcome him having his own possible arc. Would like Ellie to get involved as well, but not sure how'd she fit in with the whole spy business considering she plays a maternal role for Chuck. I wonder with Chuck being more of a spy, how will he deal with letting go of your emotions and the inevitable having to kill a person? If the writers want to deal with the aspect of Chuck maturing into his role of being a spy (barring not your typical one, but still unique) they'll have to work with what spies usually do in their business.

That said, I'd like to see more done in the setting of the Buy More along with Lester and Jeff joining in the fun as well. Though it seems like Anna isn't going to be in the new season (didn't see her name in the credits) she was a great wild card of personality in the previous seasons. I'm all for exploring new aspects and settings for the show, but still like for it to stay in its roots at the Buy More.

#9 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

I'm heavily considering bowing! CX

Thanks for the links, King Vyse! I watched the pilot and I gotta say I'm diggin it. I won't go on into it since I'm a big fat slowpoke, but I will say I'll definitely keep to it and catch up eventually biggrin.gif

SPOILERS IN YOUR SIGS OMG MY EYES

#10 Vyse

Vyse

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:39 AM

Added a link to season 3 torrents. Go grab'em guys.

Season 3 Episode 4 --Click here to view--
I can't believe how awesome this episode had. This was probably my favourite Chuck episode ever, and it was truly perfect in every way. Chuck himself was awkward and awesome again, and the scenes he had with Awesome was... well... awesome! When I first saw the bloody Superman himself standing there begging for bullets, I was all "meh, I know it'll just bounce off your eyeball again man", but it didn't. I guess he was more Cyclops this time, with a vulnerable side (bullets). The end scene where everyone was having fun at Chuck and Morgan's place except Shaw, made me baw. They say Shaw will be the Bryce of this season, where as he'll provide to the sexual tension (read: emo) between Sarah and Chuck, but IMDB only has him signed for five episodes. A shame really, as I think he'd make a decent addition to the team.

The high point of this episode... Jeff and Lester!!!

This was THE BEST JEFFSTER EPISODE IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD! A BLOODY FIGHT CLUB? OH MY GOD! Brilliant actors, and the best performance ever. When Chuck kicked Lester and Jeff went Boom Boom Pow, something inside me died... laughing. It was a good way to go, so don't worry. But seriously, this episode... I think I'll watch it again... now!

#11 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:05 AM

episode 4 spoilers --Click here to view--
At the end of the last season with when Chuck learned kung-fu I loved the Matrix reference. This episode with Jeff and Lester doing the Fight Club parody made me really appreciate how the writers handle the show as it was fantastic. So we finally get more look into The Ring and what it holds for this season in terms of plot. Hopefully this helps groom Chuck into having a bigger role of being a more active spy with combat abilities besides making do with his makeshift tactics of prior seasons. Of course still have the fun aspect of the show that makes it unique, but work more into making him a spy. Sides that, I really liked seeing Morgan becoming assistant manager! He well deserves it and hopefully it will help keep the Buy More setting around. So I'm assuming Shaw is going to be Sarah's new love interest? Shall be interesting to see how Chuck responds to him since he seems different then the previous James Bond-esque spy from last season.

I hope Jeff and Lester can possibly get tied into one of Chucks's mission. Seeing those two involved in anything provides instant laughs!

#12 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:36 AM

QUOTE (True @ Jan 20 2010, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
episode 4 spoilers --Click here to view--
At the end of the last season with when Chuck learned kung-fu I loved the Matrix reference. This episode with Jeff and Lester doing the Fight Club parody made me really appreciate how the writers handle the show as it was fantastic. So we finally get more look into The Ring and what it holds for this season in terms of plot. Hopefully this helps groom Chuck into having a bigger role of being a more active spy with combat abilities besides making do with his makeshift tactics of prior seasons. Of course still have the fun aspect of the show that makes it unique, but work more into making him a spy. Sides that, I really liked seeing Morgan becoming assistant manager! He well deserves it and hopefully it will help keep the Buy More setting around. So I'm assuming Shaw is going to be Sarah's new love interest? Shall be interesting to see how Chuck responds to him since he seems different then the previous James Bond-esque spy from last season.

I hope Jeff and Lester can possibly get tied into one of Chucks's mission. Seeing those two involved in anything provides instant laughs!

Theory (with possible spoilers for next weeks show) --Click here to view--
I have an idea about something they'll do with Morgan as Assistant Manager next week.

Two pieces of evidence --
1. Chuck has his first solo mission next week, meaning Casey, Sarah, etc. will be left behind, if I understand correctly.

2. In the write-up for next weeks episode, I saw that "Morgan will get an unexpected ally in his efforts to keep Jeff and Lester under control." (quote is from memory, and may not be 100% accurate, but the gist is correct)

Theory:
Without Chuck to keep an eye on, and forced to continue working at the Buy More to maintain his cover, Casey forges an alliance with Morgan, where he treats Morgan much as he did Chuck in seasons 1 and 2. ("Man up, Grimes!")

-Tonbo

#13 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:21 AM

Interesting episode today...

Chuck vs. First Class comments. --Click here to view--
Okay, Lester has now been hypnotized into subservience under Morgan (god help us all), we've got a new Buy More employee for a few episodes (I dunno what to make of that one, though I knew it was coming), we still don't know what Shaw is really all about (save to be an annoying SOB), and we still know nothing about the Ring.

I didn't get a clue about what next week's episode will be about from the preview. Sigh. Very uninformative episode.

-Tonbo

#14 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:54 AM

Links for the masses

http://mytvsource.bl...uck-versus.html

JLHza2T.png

#15 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:35 AM

Just finished the episode. Wasn't much on plot, but we got some good character development.

episode 5 spoilers --Click here to view--
Looks like the show is proceeding well with developing Chuck into a spy. He did pretty well on his own, but still needed help. Pretty funny seeing Steve Austin playing the bad guy and getting into a fight with Chuck. Shaw isn't too bad (though whenever I hear his name I think of Shaq since that's his nick name) and seems alright so far, much different then the other spy allies introduced on the show. Again not a whole lot going on, but seeing Chuck progress as a spy was a fun watch as they mixed the action and comedy well together. We still have 14 episodes left to diverge into the plot and more information on the Ring so I'm fine with these lone character development episodes.

So I'm assuming Hannah will be the new Chuck love interest for the next few or so episodes. I'm fine with that since she seems pretty nice and they did have a bit of chemistry going on during the plane ride. Though I'm sure they will try to spin some sort of angle onto her character like they did with Jill and Lou, the two previous girls he was involved in. As usual, the Buy More stuff is always humorous. Implementing Casey into it made it great--the integration of Lester was absolutely hilarious--and all the tirades with Morgan were fantastic. Now with Hannah working at the Buy More it'll be fun to see what dynamic she brings into the store (since Anna is gone, she'll take the top female role in the store). The next episode looks alright, not sure about the new mission and information on the intersect since honestly I've grown born with the intersect part of the show after the end of the last season. Other than that, a good episode.

#16 Vyse

Vyse

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

I found the new episode to be fantastic, although not quite up to the level of the previous episode. After the way Kristen Kreuk left Smallville after turning Lana into a bamf, only to play Chun-Li in that horrible horrible movie, I've resented her somewhat. Seeing her with Chuck on that plane was a decent way to get her back into my "OMG ILU! I WILL NOW STALK YOU" list, and I hope her character turns out to be of the quality I've come to expect from Chuck characters.

Jeff and Lester should get a gold medal for their roles though, as they NEVER fail!

#17 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:20 PM

I haven't see any of the shows/movies Kristen Kreuk has starred in, but it'll be good start to see her in Chuck. Her first appearance has been done well so far. I'm assuming she is most likely Chuck's new temporary love interest (I haven't checked spoilers or any other further information) so it shall be interesting to see what sort of dynamic the both of them have. Will it be about Chuck dealing with a civilian girlfriend unlike of how he had with Jill and Lou who were involved in something shady? I'd like to see him having to choose life as a civilian and that of being a spy--which Sarah has emphasized is harsh on emotional level, so how will an emotional guy such as Chuck deal with it.

#18 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:24 PM

Couldn't find much on the next episode right now but here's the episode summary very vague though.
Chuck trains a new Nerd Herd employee named Hannah, while on his other job, he needs to handle an asset connected to the Ring.

JLHza2T.png

#19 Vyse

Vyse

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:20 PM

Forgot to comment yesterday, so here's my thought on what happened the last episode:

HOORAY FOR MORGAN, YOU GO MY BEARDED BRO!

#20 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:58 AM

^Who's Rachel? You mean Hannah?

I quite liked the episode. Chuck and Hannah have some good chemistry together and I wouldn't mind them being together while Chuck and Sarah have their little quibble. And it could also give Chuck a realization into what Sarah must have felt when she was attracted to him while he still had his civilian status. Though from what I read Kristin Kreuk was only signed up for a four episode arc. Possible extension? I sure would welcome it.

Now no Chuck for three weeks because of Olympic break sad.gif The wait shall suck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users