Are we headed for another war?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:46 AM

http://news.yahoo.co...us_korea_north1

#2 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:04 AM

So we're making the Korea Crisis a thread now? Okay that's good with me. I had this posted in the Politics thread so I'll move what I had over.

FLASHBACK:

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Nov 23 2010, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Nov 26 2010, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well looks like China has to think about something.

The article is originally AP. But the gist of it is the Chinese have a decision to make. The last time when the ship was sunk they could turn away the carrier battle group with an excuse, but since North Korea is at it again in a different way, they've been mum on the subject.

60 years since the War started and over 30 years since Nixon opened China.

It seems since then China has made strides in trade relations with South Korea since then. North Korea is a military ally but I just don't know how much the trade with the South is.

There have already been protests in the streets of Seoul, Koreans are getting sick of the North.

So one of the questions is to China, how much is supporting the regime of North Korea worth now?

Currently the United States and South Korea are performing military simulations in the Yellow Sea. Yonhap in Korea reports the installation of SAM missile sites in the North and people on the island have been sent to shelters when the North started conducting firing exercies.

Edited by Insurrection, 28 November 2010 - 06:07 AM.

#3 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Nov 28 2010, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So we're making the Korea Crisis a thread now? Okay that's good with me. I had this posted in the Politics thread so I'll move what I had over.

Well, it's bigger than just politics and I wanted other people's opinions on what's currently happening, and what *could* happen if things continue to escalate.

#4 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:56 AM

Well, for one thing, both countries have relations with the 2 biggest economies in the world. Not only that, there's also the left Latin to watch out for. Which could lead to a new block. SE Asia doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell to get dragged into this (unless we throw Myanmar & Vietnam out of ASEAN)

With the left Latin and N.Korea+China & Iran vs U.S+S.Korea/Japan and other countries interested, plus not mentioning Al-qaida as a third party who just might do something unexpected, taking advantage of the situation, you've got a sure-fire recipe for doomsday.

On the plus side for otakus, we might see Gundams being produced since there's no doubt Japan is going to fight. laugh.gif

Edited by Newkerz, 28 November 2010 - 06:58 AM.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#5 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:02 AM

I'll state what I had above in my opinion, China is the key. They've worked too hard for a small nation that they've been allied with to destroy that. Trade and business with the West and Eastern economies has made them wealthy and powerful.

North Korea's show of force has already proven to be bad for business.

This could all end if China closes their border to the North and says to them, if you want to show your force that's fine, but we're not going to be a part of it. They'd still have to worry about a flood of refugees.

Newkerz you're really going to have to explain to me how latin america plays into East Asia. As much as I love the Gundam this isn't a good time to joke about that.

Edited by Insurrection, 28 November 2010 - 07:06 AM.

#6 Zero BD

Zero BD

nishishishi

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Mostly drawing, playing games and watching anime. Normal things, I think.

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:19 AM

the current China will no do anything to jeopardize its economic and trade agreements with America if the North decides to declare war on the South and America.

Edited by Zero BD, 28 November 2010 - 07:37 AM.

why yes. that is my adorable sister hugging a dakimura. got a problem?

#7 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Nov 28 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll state what I had above in my opinion, China is the key. They've worked too hard for a small nation that they've been allied with to destroy that. Trade and business with the West and Eastern economies has made them wealthy and powerful.

North Korea's show of force has already proven to be bad for business.

This could all end if China closes their border to the North and says to them, if you want to show your force that's fine, but we're not going to be a part of it. They'd still have to worry about a flood of refugees.

Newkerz you're really going to have to explain to me how latin america plays into East Asia. As much as I love the Gundam this isn't a good time to joke about that.

On Latin America: is it really that hard to figure out?? Latin America are all leaning to the extreme left right now, and who's their number one enemy?? America. Basically, they have a common enemy. Which means there's no doubt that they will be another card in the game. Besides, China has kept close ties with them. There's no doubt they will want to get in the game.

Which leaves SE Asia and the Middle East. I'm not too worried about SE Asia, We've been consistent as a neutral block. Our only problem is, if we don't do something about Myanmar and Vietnam, we could get dragged into this. I do hope SE Asia can be a demilitarized block.

As for the Gundam joke, there's nothing better than a light joke to lift up the gloomy state of the world, right?? wink.gif

Anyone find it kinda funny that the current arc in Naruto is a war arc?

Edited by Newkerz, 28 November 2010 - 07:41 AM.

248793.jpg

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#8 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 28 November 2010 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (Newkerz @ Nov 28 2010, 02:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On Latin America: is it really that hard to figure out?? Latin America are all leaning to the extreme left right now, and who's their number one enemy?? America. Basically, they have a common enemy. Which means there's no doubt that they will be another card in the game. Besides, China has kept close ties with them. There's no doubt they will want to get in the game.

I doubt that. Chavez and Castro might make a speech but otherwise they'll do nothing. Chavez especially- his country has too many economic ties to the US and Europe that makes lots of profits for them. Neither have had any real history of military involvement outside of Central and South America. Same goes for the other Central and South American countries- note they aren't even bothering with Mexico, and with it's current instability that would be much in line with their history and interests. And they only have a very token involvement in making themselves look good in Haiti, much less than the US does.

China's strong push back against for violent extremist groups that use a distorted version of Islam to support their actions, and North Korea's discriminatory practices against anyone that follows Islam kind of precludes your speculation about Al-qaida. Iran's relationship with China is even more problematic than the US with China. China is really only interested in N Korea as a buffer zone against the west. Koreans (including North Koreans) also have as strong a dislike for China as Japan, because both conquered, occupied and ruled over their country at some time. (Much like Vietnam, who actually have a lot more animosity toward China than Japan) Koreans feel pretty certain Japan won't occupy them again, but believe China would do so if given the opportunity. They aren't as violently hostile to China as Vietnam is. North Vietnam never let more than token China involvement during the war because they did not like or trust the Chinese at all.
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#9 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 03:49 PM

Ummm.... I don't really quite get your explanation with Al-qaida.....

248793.jpg

#10 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:47 PM

She's saying China hates them because they crackdwn on extremist elements.

Cause they're communists.

But the fact remains Latin America nor the Middle East has the reason to help N. Korea.

Edited by Insurrection, 28 November 2010 - 04:50 PM.

#11 TheBerserkMoogle

TheBerserkMoogle

Cute and Fuzzy. Deadly too.

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:58 AM

All I can say is I hope they make more than 122 vaults. ohboy.png

#12 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:17 AM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Nov 28 2010, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
She's saying China hates them because they crackdwn on extremist elements.

Cause they're communists.

Well, that too. But what I was saying Al-qaida isn't about to come to N Korea's aid because N Korea discriminates against the Islamic faith in any shape or form. They are no allies of China either because China has enacted harsh measures against communities that have militants who, like Al-qaida, use a distorted version of Islam to commit acts of terrorism. In fact China has stated that those terrorists were Al-qaida agents.
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#13 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:07 AM

Technically, the two Koreas have been at war since the Korean War started started in 1950. They never signed a formal armistice.

I'm worried it could get worse, as we've already had well publicised attacks by the North on the South this year alone. Off the top of my head, there was the sinking of a South Korean warship by a North Korean torpedo, and an unsuccessful attack on another South warship by a North gunboat. Then you have this latest incidient.

What makes it even worse, is that every time the North carries out an attack, they blame the South Koreans and use inflammatory language, such as calling them warmongers. According to the latest news reports, there is a lot of anger from the South Korean public, and they're pretty much at breaking point. The South Korean military has changed their rules of engagement to allow them to respond more forcibly to any future attacks.

Just one more idiotic action from the North Koreans could tip the whole peninsula into war.

I'm guessing China is having second thoughts about standing by the North Koreans. They're trying to defuse the situation because they don't want another war on their doorstep, and I really think they will leave the North Koreans on their own if it all kicks off. There's no reason for the Chinese to defend Kim Jong-il, they'll just want to make sure their own borders are protected.

#14 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Nov 29 2010, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, that too. But what I was saying Al-qaida isn't about to come to N Korea's aid because N Korea discriminates against the Islamic faith in any shape or form. They are no allies of China either because China has enacted harsh measures against communities that have militants who, like Al-qaida, use a distorted version of Islam to commit acts of terrorism. In fact China has stated that those terrorists were Al-qaida agents.

You're right about that, but that's not what I really had in mind. What I think how Al-Qaeda will play the field is that while the West is busy confronting N.Korea, they'll take advantage of the situation and surprise attack the West because they're focused on N.Korea. They won't work with N.Korea, but they will use the situation to their advantage.

248793.jpg

#15 Zero BD

Zero BD

nishishishi

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Mostly drawing, playing games and watching anime. Normal things, I think.

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:13 AM

I highly doubt that Al-Qaeda has the manpower or resources to pull off any large scale attack. The most we'll likely see from them if we go to war with the North is more support into Afghanistan or a possible, however unlikely, reemergence in Iraq. Most of the senior leadership of Al-Qaeda has been killed or captured since the War in Afghanistan started.

why yes. that is my adorable sister hugging a dakimura. got a problem?

#16 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:49 AM

N. Korea and S. Korea may fight, but a new greater nation with an even greater leader than weak leader Kim Jong Il, has come forth to challenge both Koreas.

http://www.huffingto...d_b_789516.html

The situation on the Korean peninsula became more precarious today as the little-known nation of East Korea, tired of being overlooked, declared war on both North and South Korea.

Saying it has grown weary of being "the forgotten Korea," East Korea said it hoped that declaring war on the two more famous Koreas would establish a new reputation for the often-ignored country "as the angriest and craziest Korea out there."

Edited by Strangelove, 01 December 2010 - 04:50 AM.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#17 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,846 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:48 AM

Great... just great... dry.gif

Does this mean we can say Korean War II is coming?

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#18 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:30 AM

try the conclusion of Korean war 1.

with time skip.
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#19 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:34 AM

"Frankly, we're not even positive it exists," she said. "But we're checking WikiLeaks to see if we badmouthed them."

LOL, laugh.gif I kinda laughed at this one. See, even WikiLeaks can be useful for them....

248793.jpg

#20 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:25 AM

Uh, actually turns out that Wikileaks leak revealed the Chinese were badmouthing them. Guess they got the message.

UPDATE 12/19/10

NEVERMIND WAR'S ALMOST BACK ON AGAIN

UPDATE II 12/20/10

South Korea launches fighters and begins military drills, reports from AP and Reuters from yonhap that the drills have recently finished however cnn has contradicted this. Though the area is still tense. North Korea has not responded.

Apparently Bill Richardson constructed a deal, however I don't know if South Korea's government will be as willing as they were a year ago. The drill is now 90 minutes into its execution, they are said to be 2 hours long.

UPDATE III

Okay drills over, for those unfamiliar with Korea, this is actually a normal drill conducted at this time of year in South Korea, like tornado syrens. However due to North Korea's recent actions these have been thrown into a higher focus microscope. Other than that nothing happened...for the moment.

YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME

Edited by Insurrection, 22 December 2010 - 06:26 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users