37 replies to this topic

#1 goldenarms

goldenarms

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:11 AM

Before anyone says, I know what the acronym means (Promise of a Lifetime; thank you, Google). What I'm asking is what does it really mean insofar as this powerful lifechanging NaruSaku moment. I've seen some comment upon this as if this was that magical moment that fortold the future that would be Naruto, Sakura, and hundreds of cute spiky pink haired babies. Me personally, this seems more and more like a really bad idea that's going to leave Naruto forever pining after someone that'll be popping out little black-haired babies till the world ends.

So, break it down to me -- what does POAL really mean in context to NaruSaku, and how does it make sense?

Edited by goldenarms, 09 April 2015 - 05:12 AM.

#2 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:45 AM

ns peak development from naruto side.

#3 Tiller

Tiller

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:03 AM

In the context of the canon story it means nothing anymore. Canon Naruto promised Sakura that he would bring "Sasuke" back for her no matter what. It was then later retconed that Naruto was going to "bring Sasuke back" whether Sakura wanted him to or not, and that "he hated people who lied to themselves".

In the end it really didn't have much of a feeling because quoting from The Last movie "You (Naruto) loved me (Sakura) because of rivalry with Sasuke right?"

In other words in order to justify the canon couple endings multiple aspects of the main story had to be radically shifted. From Sasuke never being "bad" and always "loving everyone" to the POAL not really mattering to the story, and in the end just being something Naruto said.

If your asking what it originally meant then her it is: It was a promise from a young man toward a young woman who's love he wanted, not knowing if he could bring her happiness himself he instead swore to her that he would bring back the person who could bring her happiness (Sasuke). Now in the hands of a person who has any skills as a writer at all, this "the female character loves the abussive bad guy" story would have ended up with the two best friends (Naruto and Sakura) going from strangers---co workers---- friends----- best friend--- bf/gf--- lovers-- husband/wife-- soulmates.

Honestly had Sasuke even been saved, I would have originally planned something like this to happen.

*Sakura sits in her wedding dress crying looking into a mirror, well Ino and her Mother are behind her.*

Ino: What is it forehead girl? Sasuke is out there waiting for you....

Sakura: *tears in her eyes* I know! I know!!!

Mebuki: Sakura seriously... what is it... I know when you cry happily and this isn't it what is wrong?

*Sakura looks around tears still in her eyes.*

Sakura: Wrong? Nothing! How could it be? This is what I've always wanted. I've always begged for this day to happen I've fantasized about it, dreamed about it. What could be wrong? *Tears rolling down her eyes*

Ino: Well instead of bragging about how you won Sasuke from me your sitting her in tears looking at that picture of you and the rest of Team 7.

Sakura: It's nothing. I've always wanted this. It will be just me and Sasuke no one else. Just me and him forever and our kids.... *keeps crying harder.*

Mebuki: Sakura if you don't want to do this you don't have to you know?

Sakura: Why wouldn't I want too? The whole village is here, and there are some other people here from other village to support me... why wouldn't I do it? I've always wanted too...

Mebuki: They don't matter... this is your life. What do you want in your heart?

Sakura: I know what I want! I've always wanted him!

Ino: Are you sure?

Sakura: Of course!! Since we were little girls I'd sit and look into a mirror like this one and say it... *wipes tears from face.*

Mebuki: Then say it.

Sakura: Yeah.. from now on my name will be Sakura Uchiha... They will call me....*starts crying again* Sakura Haruno Uchiha *cries harder* Sakura Uchiha Haruno *keeps crying then pauses* I'll be... I'll be... *starts crying hard again*

Ino: .....

Mebuki: Your going to be?

Sakura: *takes a deep breath well tears roll down her face, looks at the image of Team 7 for a second then says.* Sakura.... Haruno... Uzumaki... *stops crying for a minute in shock*

#4 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:10 AM

@tiller

poal has nothing to do with narusasu, but it has something to do with ns.

with or without the promise, naruto will save sasuke.

yes, it need to be erased because it's a powerful moment.

#5 luffyq1

luffyq1

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,371 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:13 AM

poal wasn't necessary. naruto would go the distance for sasuke no matter what, because his dreams hinged on him.

Untitled_zpsbc671263.png

#6 Tiller

Tiller

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:16 AM

@tiller

poal has nothing to do with narusasu, but it has something to do with ns.

with or without the promise, naruto will save sasuke.

yes, it need to be erased because it's a powerful moment.

In the canon story Naruto says outright that he was going to save Sasuke whether Sakura wanted him to or not. He tells her outright that he is doing it for his "own reasons". It eventually was shown that canon wise the POAL meant nothing and likely came from Naruto desire to be a "rival" of Sasuke, because canon wise Sakura was just a trophy to him back then.

That isn't how it started though, it was originally presented as what it says in the story unironically with no alternate motives, it was a promise that was made by Naruto because he couldn't stand to see Sakura in so much pain, and took it upon himself to bring Sasuke back for her. Any alteration from that reality is a retcon which is what this entire story became in the end.

#7 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:27 AM

for me the POAL means the moment when Sakuras feeling for Naruto cross the middle line from Sasuke to Naruto.

For me Sakuras feelings start close to Sasuke --crush, rivalry-, possibly more-- but from Chapter 3 they start to shift slowly and inevitably towards Naruto. Small things little things one step at a time. What is this feeling? this is Naruto?, That's the girl I put my faith in!--etc etc

As she grows and learns more about Naruto her feelings continue to evolve and grow towards him maturing from nothing --the person  I hate is Naruto-- to fteamates--Narutos not so bad-- to friendship --you make me want to grow and cheer-- to Lvoe -- youre the only one I trust you completely.

the POAL is the peak of that slow uphill journey. not the end but the mid way point where the romance truly begins.

My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#8 Tiller

Tiller

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:41 AM

for me the POAL means the moment when Sakuras feeling for Naruto cross the middle line from Sasuke to Naruto.

For me Sakuras feelings start close to Sasuke --crush, rivalry-, possibly more-- but from Chapter 3 they start to shift slowly and inevitably towards Naruto. Small things little things one step at a time. What is this feeling? this is Naruto?, That's the girl I put my faith in!--etc etc

As she grows and learns more about Naruto her feelings continue to evolve and grow towards him maturing from nothing --the person  I hate is Naruto-- to fteamates--Narutos not so bad-- to friendship --you make me want to grow and cheer-- to Lvoe -- youre the only one I trust you completely.

the POAL is the peak of that slow uphill journey. not the end but the mid way point where the romance truly begins.

In the hands of someone with actual writing talents that would have been the case. With Kishimoto it was just kind of there for no reason honestly. The whole story could be of been wrote without it and with this ending it would have made sense. Which is why the POAL must be destroyed or brushed off... which it has been.

#9 Frankie

Frankie

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:44 PM

POAL means absolutely jackkitten now.

#10 Pix

Pix

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Interests:Boku no Hero Academia is better than Naruto

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:11 PM

poal wasn't necessary. naruto would go the distance for sasuke no matter what, because his dreams hinged on him.

I never took the POAL as hardcore as other NS fans. It wasn't all that spectacular. It just showed that Naruto would always want to help Sakura and Sakura would always keep her shallow love for Sasuke. I mean, once you really analyze it, neither Naruto nor Sakura were that close to Sasuke throughout Team 7 days. Of course Sasuke and Naruto had a bond, but it wasn't very detailed in writing. And then all of a sudden they were "destined". Long story short- both Naruto and Sakura's bond with Sasuke was forced.

Squad Roll call :

tumblr_ngv9unJacL1qhmbkio1_r1_500.png

#11 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:29 PM

@pix
It's important to NS because naruto love sakura.
The same couldn't be said if naruto doesn't love sakura.

#12 Dario

Dario

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:09 AM

lt obviously doesn't mean anything anymore, just a complete waste of time and pointless melodrama like so much more scenes in this manga.

What it could have meant is the symbol of Naruto's selflessness and maturity regarding his feelings for Sakura, you know the garbage they're trying to sell us now with Sakura's love for Sasuke being so much deeper and serious now because Kakashi said she didn't want to make the Sauce hers?

Can't have that though obviously, it's far better to have a main character with the emotional intelligence of a fly larva who discovers tru luv through scarves and genjutsus.

#13 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:18 AM

@tiller & Dario
Ofc poal doesn't meant anything because NS is not canon.
Heck, kishi even doesn't give NS resolution nor he has the ball to kill NS.

Edited by rocci, 12 April 2015 - 06:18 AM.

#14 Dario

Dario

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:31 AM

What, you mean you weren't satisfied with that throwaway "u sed u likd mi becoz u didnt want 2 looz 2 sasuek" line fromThe Last???? What more do you want that was the perfect closure!!!

#15 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:40 AM

What, you mean you weren't satisfied with that throwaway "u sed u likd mi becoz u didnt want 2 looz 2 sasuek" line fromThe Last???? What more do you want that was the perfect closure!!!

Resolution : naruto confess & sakura reject him, both of them realize that they are better to be friend. Good for naruto & sakura. You don't need to make naruto cry like a kitten because sakura rejection. What happen in the last is erasing naruto feeling. It inderectly tell the audience that boy feeling is not important and to make Hinata as naruto first love thus avoiding that Hinata is a silver medal argument.

Kill : naruto said he doesn't love her anymore in sakura confession or when he talk about his massage or when minato ask sakura if she's his girlfriend.

I want a proper closure, it will show that kishi give a kitten about his own manga since he promise us a proper conclusion.

Edited by rocci, 12 April 2015 - 06:41 AM.

#16 Dario

Dario

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:46 AM

l was joking. Tbh I didn't even get that mad at that part because the damage was already done, l think the absolute worst part is still Naruto not understanding Hinata's confession. This one l think l'll never get over.

#17 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:51 AM

l was joking. Tbh I didn't even get that mad at that part because the damage was already done, l think the absolute worst part is still Naruto not understanding Hinata's confession. This one l think l'll never get over.

It happen because kishi want them to be over 18 to have a love life lmao.
What kind of excuse is that?

Yeah, I can't believe that naruto doesn't know that Hinata confession is a confession of love smh. Naruto isn't goku or luffy kishi.

#18 goldenarms

goldenarms

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 02:43 PM

Resolution : naruto confess & sakura reject him, both of them realize that they are better to be friend. Good for naruto & sakura. You don't need to make naruto cry like a b*tch because sakura rejection. What happen in the last is erasing naruto feeling. It inderectly tell the audience that boy feeling is not important and to make Hinata as naruto first love thus avoiding that Hinata is a silver medal argument.

Kill : naruto said he doesn't love her anymore in sakura confession or when he talk about his massage or when minato ask sakura if she's his girlfriend.

I want a proper closure, it will show that kishi give a kitten about his own manga since he promise us a proper conclusion.

This is something I don't get. I hear some people demanding "closure" to Naruto and Sakura, wanting Naruto to finally confess his feelings and whatnot, and I feel we've already gotten all that much, much earlier -- when Sakura "confessed" to Naruto and the subsequent development with Sasuke-Danzo and the re-meeting of Team 7. I felt that summed up everything we need to know about the future of Naruto and Sakura's relationship -- they'll be friends and teammates forever, but love is pretty much a dead topic as long as there is still hope for Sasuke.

Feel free to get your anti-Sasuke pitchforks and firebrands.

I feel people don't quite understand how can such an empathic man like Naruto completely miss on Hinata's confession.

In my experience, it's simple -- he simply did not believe her to feel true romantic love towards him.

That's easy to understand when you consider Naruto grew up without love for nearly all of his life. The fact that he didn't turn out sociopathic like Gaara is a miracle in and of itself, but at the same time, Naruto spends a lot of his time trying to figure out relationships and feelings using others as stand-ins for the things he doesn't have himself -- Iruka as his father, Jiraiya as a grandfather, Sasuke as his brother, etc. When it comes to romatic relationships, Naruto doesn't have many basis to compare to, and the only one that might have helped him is Sakura towards Sasuke, which pretty much the worst one he could use to decipher Hinata due to the fact that Hinata is pretty much the exact opposite of her. And, since Hinata apparently never followed up on her confession after Naruto defeated Pain (understandable, since Sakura has long since been the girl Naruto has been vocal about since 12), it's little wonder how Naruto could come to the decision that Hinata's feelings towards him might not have been in the romantic sense but something along the lines of "liking ramen."

Pretty classic case of "Extroverts failing to understand how introverts think and feel."

#19 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 03:50 PM

@goldenarm
I demand naruto confession because he's the title main character and he love sakura.
There are no closure between naruto and sakura because there are no interaction between naruto and sakura.
Sasuke doesn't love sakura until chapter 699. And no just because there's hope for sasuke =/= no hope for NS.

And I don't hate nor like sasuke.

Wait really? He doesn't get that Hinata confession is about romantic love?

Edited by rocci, 12 April 2015 - 03:54 PM.

#20 Dario

Dario

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:48 AM

This is something I don't get. I hear some people demanding "closure" to Naruto and Sakura, wanting Naruto to finally confess his feelings and whatnot, and I feel we've already gotten all that much, much earlier -- when Sakura "confessed" to Naruto and the subsequent development with Sasuke-Danzo and the re-meeting of Team 7. I felt that summed up everything we need to know about the future of Naruto and Sakura's relationship -- they'll be friends and teammates forever, but love is pretty much a dead topic as long as there is still hope for Sasuke.

Feel free to get your anti-Sasuke pitchforks and firebrands.

I feel people don't quite understand how can such an empathic man like Naruto completely miss on Hinata's confession.

In my experience, it's simple -- he simply did not believe her to feel true romantic love towards him.

That's easy to understand when you consider Naruto grew up without love for nearly all of his life. The fact that he didn't turn out sociopathic like Gaara is a miracle in and of itself, but at the same time, Naruto spends a lot of his time trying to figure out relationships and feelings using others as stand-ins for the things he doesn't have himself -- Iruka as his father, Jiraiya as a grandfather, Sasuke as his brother, etc. When it comes to romatic relationships, Naruto doesn't have many basis to compare to, and the only one that might have helped him is Sakura towards Sasuke, which pretty much the worst one he could use to decipher Hinata due to the fact that Hinata is pretty much the exact opposite of her. And, since Hinata apparently never followed up on her confession after Naruto defeated Pain (understandable, since Sakura has long since been the girl Naruto has been vocal about since 12), it's little wonder how Naruto could come to the decision that Hinata's feelings towards him might not have been in the romantic sense but something along the lines of "liking ramen."

Pretty classic case of "Extroverts failing to understand how introverts think and feel."

Serious question: l just said l'd never get over that part so what exactly do you think your idiotic rationalization is going to accomplish? Do you think l've never thought about that perspective and that now you've spelled it out to me it'll all make sense? No, it's completely absurd and insulting. She DIED in front of him FFS. Whatever.

See this is why Kishimoto didn't have to try. He could churn out the worst nonsense and people would gladly swallow and justify it later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users