Close
Photo

Can someone explain to me why/how Yaoi is so popular?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#1 roninmedia

roninmedia

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:48 AM

Using google results: http://forums.naruto...ad.php?t=291943

On fanfiction, filtering the genre as romance, english with all fiction ratings .
Sasuke/Sakura: 299 pages
Naruto/Sasuke: 289 pages
Naruto/Hinata: 117 pages
Neji/Tenten: 80 pages
Naruto/Sakura: 63 pages
Shikamaru/Ino: 35 pages
Kakashi/Iruka: 34 pages
Shikamaru/Temari: 28 pages
Naruto/Gaara: 20 pages

Ignoring Sasu/Saku, Yaoi outnumbers the rest of the "common" pairings on ff.net

1) One "kiss" motivated that many writers? Or the fact Sasuke seems to like Naruto as a teammate more than Sakura?

2) I thought
a) This is a shounen manga
B) Most people are straight when it comes to romance
c) More guys admit to liking lesbians than girls admit to liking
'gay' men

#2 CrashLanded

CrashLanded

One Cat To Rule Them All And In The Darkness Bind Them.

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Location:The land of the Monsoon and the Tiger and the Elephant.

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:15 AM

Blame it on the samba!!!! I mean fangirls who want their hawt guys paired up, and of course they do make the best pairing for yaoi. Actually NaruSasu fanfics are a lot more than the search result shows us, and mostly it is fuelled by the doujinshis which come up all the time in Japan and elsewhere (it certainly explains the KakaIru pairing).
QUOTE (The Dream Cat @ "A Dream Of A Thousand Cats")
"Many, many seasons ago, cats truly ruled the world.
We were larger then, and the whole world was created for our pleasure. We roamed as we would, taking what we wanted.
In those times, humans were tiny creatures, no larger than we are now.
And humans would groom us and feed us and pet us.
"

#3 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,846 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:16 AM

That's an old result...

Right now they are bigger than that...

and to answer your question...

Since this a shonen manga, not only boys read it but girls too and since they saw this that scene... yeah... as a matter of fact, every normal shonen anime/manga has yaoi pairings. Look at DB, Gundam, Yu-Gi-Oh! (primary examples)...

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#4 Vespar

Vespar

Namikage

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Everyone thinks it, but etiquette interferes; lest the writer is construed as misdirected.

Posted 16 November 2007 - 03:34 AM

Short answer:
I just rationalise that I like yuri, there's no reason why some girls shouldn't like yaoi.

Dot-point answer:
-ideas self-propagate

#5 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 16 November 2007 - 03:55 AM

I hate Yaoi, but I don't mean it in a homophobic way. I just don't wanna see it especially if its non-cannon bullsh*t like SasuNaru and IruKaka. The general fans of Yaoi make me sick too, they are usually a bunch of righteous "we're right you're wrong" jerkoffs....oh no wait that's SasuSaku fans.

uc.png

#6 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 03:56 AM

And just wait until part 2 of the manga and shipuuden travel over to the officail english what with konohamaru's "double knock out boys" jutsu then there will be tons of saisasu yoai lol
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#7 CrashLanded

CrashLanded

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:06 AM

QUOTE (jim1982 @ Nov 16 2007, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And just wait until part 2 of the manga and shipuuden travel over to the officail english what with konohamaru's "double knock out boys" jutsu then there will be tons of saisasu yoai lol

Oh the horror!!! But I still think NaruSasu will hold on, as they are main characters. But I had never thought girls would be so forthcoming before I came to Naruto fandom (mostly because the internet gives you anonymity). And yes, more SasuSaku "anime based" debaters would use that scene in their defense of SasuSaku or *gasp* SaiSaku.
We were larger then, and the whole world was created for our pleasure. We roamed as we would, taking what we wanted.
"

#8 Wilson

Wilson

My burden...my life.....

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Interests:Lol, er, Manga, Anime, games and stuff. <br /><br />Also, writer in fanfiction.net. Go by the name weixuan18.

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:57 AM

I despise Yaoi. URGH. DX

But guess, the girls that read Naruto have their imaginations. I mean, if we boys can come up with Yuri, well, they can come up with Yaoi...though it gets incredibly disturbing if it's a boy that writes a yaoi pairing...... err.gif
You try to know everything , yet in the end, you truly understand nothing ....
Wilson's fanfic account : weixuan18

Witness teh awesomness that is Deidara Lover!!! <3

#9 BurningDeath

BurningDeath

God of Meaningless Posts

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:41 AM

Unfortunately, fangirls screwed us over here. Not sure why girls like to imagine guys going at it like dogs, but I guess its comparable to guys liking to watch girl on girl action. Don't see too many posts complaining about a SakuIno story here... HEHE... Happens in all fandoms though, and it never gets any less disturbing, not that I have anything against gays, but, I really don't need to know about their sexual habits.

#10 Unexpectations

Unexpectations

Can't tie my shoes...

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Nothing... MWA HA HA HA HA!!!

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:18 AM

The fact that it's Yaoi doesn't bother me... Most of the time it's mindless drivel. Like, "Sasuke is a gay male dancer in New York, Naruto isn't gay. But why does he find the Uchiha so appealing?" is the most common type of Sasu/Naru story out there. I personally don't like AU fics if there not in the actual Naruto world. In addition to this, there is essentially no foundation for Sasu/Naru... Sigh... But I guess that's why it's called fanfiction...
I bet you're all wondering where my name comes from (Probably not)... Well, you know that old saying Expect the Unexpected? Well, it's impossible to do so. By definition, the unexpected cannot be expected. So if you could expect the unexpected, then it would be expected, thus making the whole saying a contradiction... I think too much...

#11 Dormin

Dormin

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:13 AM

[quote name='Unexpectations' date='Nov 16 2007, 10:18 AM' post='142455']
The fact that it's Yaoi doesn't bother me... Most of the time it's mindless drivel. Like, "Sasuke is a gay male dancer in New York, Naruto isn't gay. But why does he find the Uchiha so appealing?"

So true... I swear to god If I see another freakin' cross play im going to kill myself >:<

Made by Vongola10th

"Someone shoot me..." - Kyon, cheerful as always

#12 thekonohaGANGSTA

thekonohaGANGSTA

Kenpachi Fried Chicken

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:47 AM

well just put it simply this way. guys like us dig chicks makin out a_dance.gif
and well girls dig guys makin out.. :shamefulcry0js: eeww
(sigh) but that's just how the way it is.. and plus women
outnumber men on this planet.

#13 Wilson

Wilson

My burden...my life.....

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Interests:Lol, er, Manga, Anime, games and stuff. <br /><br />Also, writer in fanfiction.net. Go by the name weixuan18.

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:52 PM

LOLOL!! GO GANGSTA. XD

And yeah, he's got it spot on. Women...usually get what they want, thus, the reason for this huge amount of Yaoi fics... :shamefulcry0js:

#14 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:21 PM

I asked a girl on a norwegian forum why yaoi is so popular, and she replied "Because two guys doing it is *squeeee*!!"

So there you have it. Yaoi is popular because two guys doing the big nasty is squee!

#15 psycho666

psycho666

wub

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:41 PM

lolz! i don't really kno why its so popular myself despite the fact that i used to be really into it <-- is quite ashamed to say the least, i guess mostly the reason i liked it is because i kind of hate sasuke (a little bit) and i liked the idea of him having the hots for naruto tongue.gif ya know? but then i sort of re-enterd the real world and realized that yaoi is really kind of disturbing, the way many people write it any way, plus eventually the thought of naruto being gay sort of pissed me off and now i don't like anything to do with yoai >.< but anyway thats just my side of yoainess i really don't kno why everyone else likes it huh.gif

(i think it's like how guys think girls going at it is hot, well we, or girls anyway, just think the opposite with guys going at it, but then again i think yuri hot too so...)

#16 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:47 PM

Response: Eww, yaoi.

#17 Wilson

Wilson

My burden...my life.....

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE (Vyse @ Nov 18 2007, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I asked a girl on a norwegian forum why yaoi is so popular, and she replied "Because two guys doing it is *squeeee*!!"

So there you have it. Yaoi is popular because two guys doing the big nasty is squee!

Lol, vyse, thank you for your insightful view on this matter. dry.gif

And Yaoi is probably like Yuri to us....though i seriously cannot understand how two guys going at it is *squeee* as that girl put it. DX

#18 Rick (Bonta-kun)

Rick (Bonta-kun)

FUMOFFU!

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (Wilson @ Nov 18 2007, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol, vyse, thank you for your insightful view on this matter. dry.gif

And Yaoi is probably like Yuri to us....though i seriously cannot understand how two guys going at it is *squeee* as that girl put it. DX

Well, women cant understand why 2 girls together is good lol.

As for the main question, i dont really know lol. Im thinking fanfiction is more popular to females maybe, thats why we see alot more Yaoi fanfiction than Yuri. I guess another reason might be that, male fanfiction writers actually like Naruto, so they pair him with there favourite female in the series, instead of another female, compared to females who may not like any of the females, so they pair Naruto and Sasuke together, resulting in less Yuri and alot more Yaoi.

But yeah like i said, dont really know, im just guessing lol.

#19 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:35 PM

SakuIno 15 pages!

#20 CrashLanded

CrashLanded

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 05:47 PM

But its still less than SasuNaru or KakaIru anyway.
"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users