33 replies to this topic

#1 Forlong

Forlong

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

I couldn't find any threads on this subject in my search, so...here we are. Discus your feelings on the series. What's great about it, what needs improvement. Anything.

My favorite...
Episode: Canterlot Wedding
Song: This Day Aria
Pony: Pinkie Pie

#2 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

Being an 80's Kid my little pony was like my everything. I collected them and loved the show growing up. I even remember sending in my proof of purchase numerous times so I could get limited edition pixie ponies, and special edition movie ponies. However that was back in the day XD now you can what scan the bar-code and get everything online.

Anyway I don't want to get off topic. So then the new version Friendship is Magic kept slapping me in the face every where online. I wasn't safe from those adorable pony's let alone the "Bronies" THEY WERE EVERYWHERE!!! Now I ignored it for sometime because reboots close to my heart are touchy. Sadly I've seen too many reboots that have just put the originals to shame. However the onslaught of this series was driving me insane so I watched the first episode. At the end I determined they were sailor scout ponies which was cute.

Now I have seen more then a few episodes, and for a reboot so many years later it is a success in my book. However I can't afford to be a Bronie lol just because I don't have the time XD It would be awesome if I had a daughter but I have two sons. My husband thinks it's cute and after a few minutes he's like Jesus what am I watching. My son loves the colors and whenever Pinky Pie decides to sing. Over all its nice to see that there are successful reboots in a land of so many failures.

Edited by Konohakitten, 30 April 2012 - 10:52 PM.

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#3 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

I don't watch the show and I don't hate on people that do. I'm just surprised this wasn't made a topic looooooooooooooooooong ago. lol

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#4 Dragunov

Dragunov

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Interests:lol git

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

We need Mole up in dis b*tch. He watches the show.

#5 Sarge

Sarge

Super Awesome Fun Time

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

AWE YEAH!!

My favorites are:
Episode -> Sister Hooves Social
Song -> Becoming Popular
Pony -> Sweetie Belle happy.gif (followed very closely by her big sis)

Edited by Sarge, 30 April 2012 - 11:40 PM.

"I really like your... Post?"

#6 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

I will admit it. I am a Brony. It is my guilty pleasure, but I love the show. I think it is only this particular generation though and the fact that this one is so...colorful. It teaches kids about good morals, but also makes some funny jokes. ESPECIALLY Pinkie Pie.

True story, I actually played Pinkie Pie Insane, which I included down there, and played it to some ganstas who were playing 50 cent songs. I rolled down the window and screamed "MLP: Bronies in the hizzle." I am surprised I didn't get shot.

Just faaaahn, Rarity. --Click here to view--

My favorites are:
Episode -> All (I can't pick one, they are all good)
Song -> Come on Every Pony, Smile Smile Smile.
Pony -> Pinkie Pie and AppleJack.

Some videos to enjoy. --Click here to view--

PS. If you want to watch the show and have Netflix, they just added it recently.

Edited by James S Cassidy, 03 May 2012 - 10:57 PM.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#7 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:you

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:02 PM

I am a brony, but most of you know that by now.

eileenbeautifulswan_zps46b60759.gif

#8 Mole

Mole

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (Dragunov @ Apr 30 2012, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We need Mole up in dis b*tch. He watches the show.

Ask and you shall receive wink.gif

Uhhh...

Favorite Episode: Sonic Rainboom
Favorite Song : Smile, Smile, Smile
Favorite Pony: 4 way tie between Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Apple Bloom.

Rainbow Dash used to be my undisputed favorite, but she was kind of lacking in season 2 for me so now she's tied... Yeah it's a cop out to have 4 favorite ponies,

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#9 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (No WhereMan @ Apr 30 2012, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't watch the show and I don't hate on people that do. I'm just surprised this wasn't made a topic looooooooooooooooooong ago. lol

That's about where I am. I have my own shows that I like which are outside my demographic, so I'm really in no position to dump on anyone else who watches this, though I don't have any personal interest in it.

#10 Forlong

Forlong

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (Mole @ May 3 2012, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ask and you shall receive wink.gif

Uhhh...

Favorite Episode: Sonic Rainboom
Favorite Song : Smile, Smile, Smile
Favorite Pony: 4 way tie between Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Apple Bloom.

Rainbow Dash used to be my undisputed favorite, but she was kind of lacking in season 2 for me so now she's tied... Yeah it's a cop out to have 4 favorite ponies,

But Dashie is 20% cooler! wink.gif

#11 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (Nate River @ May 4 2012, 05:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's about where I am. I have my own shows that I like which are outside my demographic, so I'm really in no position to dump on anyone else who watches this, though I don't have any personal interest in it.

Thank you both for not being the typical trolls that just insult us Bronies for liking it. I agree it is a little weird for boys to like it, but the show itself has merit. It'snot as girly as people think and it reminds me of the shows I watched as a kid. It's not overly feminine and maybe that's the whole point. Maybe they wanted to make it so adults can watch it too which is a good thing to go for where everyone can enjoy it.
My gofundme

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#12 Mole

Mole

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:05 AM

QUOTE (Forlong @ May 4 2012, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But Dashie is 20% cooler! wink.gif

QUOTE (James S Cassidy @ May 4 2012, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you both for not being the typical trolls that just insult us Bronies for liking it. I agree it is a little weird for boys to like it, but the show itself has merit. It'snot as girly as people think and it reminds me of the shows I watched as a kid. It's not overly feminine and maybe that's the whole point. Maybe they wanted to make it so adults can watch it too which is a good thing to go for where everyone can enjoy it.

Well Lauren Faust herself has already touched on this, saying something along the lines of...

QUOTE (Lauren Faust)
I didn't create this show for little girls, I created it for little girls and their parents--- including male parents. It only stands to reason that adult animation fans without children may like it, too.

The belief that boys shouldn't be interested in girl things is the main reason there's hardly anything decent for girls in animation--- or almost any media, for that matter. It's a backwards, sexist, outdated attitude.

^ Straight from the horse's mouth, right there.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#13 Forlong

Forlong

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (Mole @ May 9 2012, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't you mean "straight from the pony's mouth"? cool.gif

#14 Mole

Mole

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (Forlong @ May 9 2012, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't you mean "straight from the pony's mouth"? cool.gif

No, not at all. What gave you that idea? pictureem0.gif...

#15 Catwho

Catwho

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

Lauren Faust's pony avatar is an alicorn, soooo....

Straight from the alicorn's mouth!

Even though the series itself is a notch up in quality and maturity, the toys are still clearly made for little kids. I took my Pink!Celestia, took a can of white Tester paint, and spent a few hours fixing her up to be the appropriate off-white color. (I srlsly think they introduced Princess Cadence just so they could re-use all the wrongly colored pink bodies they made.)

Favorite of the mane cast? Twilight Sparkle.

Favorite of the background ponies? Vinyl Scratch aka DJ P0N-3 - who is getting her own toy this fall YAY!

Edited by Catwho, 09 May 2012 - 09:34 PM.

Read my stuff! Some of the stories are even finished! Catwho on Fanfiction.net
I also now have a Tumblr like thing:  http://tprara.tumblr.com/

#16 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (Mole @ May 8 2012, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well Lauren Faust herself has already touched on this, saying something along the lines of...

Wow, I didn't know she said that. I could tell she was going for that even before she said it. And hey, why not? Why can't guys enjoy a cartoon that has a little bit of everything in it?

I think Boomstick from Death Battle said it best

"This is a pony. A baby horse girl toy, why is it so awesome?"

More movies to enjoy --Click here to view--

Edited by James S Cassidy, 09 May 2012 - 09:33 PM.

My gofundme

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#17 Mole

Mole

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (Catwho @ May 9 2012, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even though the series itself is a notch up in quality and maturity, the toys are still clearly made for little kids. I took my Pink!Celestia, took a can of white Tester paint, and spent a few hours fixing her up to be the appropriate off-white color. (I srlsly think they introduced Princess Cadence just so they could re-use all the wrongly colored pink bodies they made.)

Favorite of the mane cast? Twilight Sparkle.

Favorite of the background ponies? Vinyl Scratch aka DJ P0N-3 - who is getting her own toy this fall YAY!

It still kind of blows my mind to think that this show is all done in Flash. I never really viewed that as anything more then some cheesy animation tool people made those low-quality (but occasionally funny) Newgrounds videos until this show. I might have actually payed attention more in my HS computer class if I knew you could create something like this on it laugh.gif. I'd never buy the toys, but I'd probably pick up the DVD/Blu Ray box sets if/when they ever make them, or maybe a shirt or something if it were decently designed.

Also, Twilight Sparkle..? --Click here to view--

She's a total square... Even her hair has straight edges!

But that's cool, different strokes and such. I did really enjoy Lesson Zero.

Vinyl has to be my favorite of the background ponies as well.

QUOTE (James S Cassidy @ May 9 2012, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, I didn't know she said that. I could tell she was going for that even before she said it. And hey, why not? Why can't guys enjoy a cartoon that has a little bit of everything in it?

I think Boomstick from Death Battle said it best

"This is a pony. A baby horse girl toy, why is it so awesome?"

Part of why so many people like it is because it's reminiscent of the cartoons the 'brony' demographic watched when they were kids and makes numerous references to other things said demographic enjoys.

On the topic of why we like the show... --Click here to view--
Interestingly enough, I got into the show about a year ago back when the pictures were in full swing. A friend of mine hated them, so to mess with him I'd often send him links to MLP related videos/pics to mess with him. Eventually, after already looking at the pictures for some time and thinking they were cute, as well as being the open-minded individual I am, I ran across 2 videos that would ultimately lead to my decision to give the show a shot.
The first one was:

Having seen quite a few pictures, I knew Fluttershy as a reserved, quiet individual. Running across this video, I was overcome with "d'aw", despite her psychotic appearance.

The second was:

Despite it being a cheesy video, the syncing of the whole "Sonic Rainboom" with the chorus of the song kind of gave me goosebumps. Plus, I already had a soft spot for RD at this point so there was that, too.
After these two videos, I decided to give it a go. At first, the show wasn't all that appealing (aside from a few cute moments here and there), but it was during the episode "Griffon Brush Off" that I decided that the show was a tad more mature then I had previously given it credit for. I honestly didn't expect the ending to that episode, and just assumed it would be more cliche and kiddy then that (along the lines of, Pinkie pulled the pranks, learns its wrong, lesson in friendship, yadda yadda). I guess it helps that the episode was about my 2 favorite characters, at the time, as well.

And it was from that point on that I was unashamed to say that I enjoy the show. I will never claim to be a 'brony' though, as:
A.) I hate the word with a burning passion as it sounds like an abomination to the English language
and
B.) I do associate the term with the more... "Hard Core" fans of the show? I.e. people that go to meet-ups, spend their days on E.D., etc.

Also, that episode of Death Battle got me to watch all their other stuff a while back, and I enjoyed them up until Peach beat Zelda...

Then they lost all credibility/entertainment value for me. confused.gif

Edited by Mole, 10 May 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#18 Catwho

Catwho

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:37 AM

You mean the more "herd core" cool.gif

Read my stuff! Some of the stories are even finished! Catwho on Fanfiction.net
I also now have a Tumblr like thing:  http://tprara.tumblr.com/

#19 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:you

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (Catwho @ May 9 2012, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No worries, they're coming out with white Celestia toys now.

Also, Vinyl Scratch is ballin'.

eileenbeautifulswan_zps46b60759.gif

#20 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

I don't get it. I'm sorry I really don't sweat.gif

My best male friend loves this show. I mean, just loves it to pieces. And he is constantly trying to get me into the show. I grew up with and loved the original 1980s My Little Pony series. Had my own pony action figures and everything. I've just kind of been shocked to see the level of enthusiasm obsession? people have for the new series. For my friend I started watching the series on Netflix, mainly as a way to get him to stop pestering me to watch it =p

I mean it's okay, it's cutesy, and pleasantly surprisingly quite funny...but I still don't get the massive fandom reaction to the show. It's an okay series, but I've seen other shows/series that were to me very excellent, that never got anywhere near this much obsessive fan-love. I mean people call themselves Bronies...that's some serious fan-love there ;p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users