20 replies to this topic

#1 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:34 AM

I have a feeling that this topic won't get too much attention, and may very well disappear in the forum. Who knows though...

Just finished watching UFC 115. Pretty good event. My thoughts on it:

Franklin broke his arm and still kept on fighting. Hardcore. Kind of sad to see Liddell get knocked out (especially in the first round) in, most likely, his last fight.

Pat Barry was the overwhelming favorite going into the fight with Cro Crop. It's a shame he's an idiot. Knocked Cro Crop on his ass 2 times in the first round and just let the guy get back up. Deserved to lose that fight. What an idiot. Oh, and this is MMA, not kickboxing. He's too one-dimensional, has no ground game to speak of.

Edited by Unknown Entity, 13 June 2010 - 04:37 AM.

Pretty bored.

#2 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:40 AM

^^ Exactly, Franklin is awesmazing.

JLHza2T.png

#3 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:47 AM

Saw this on another forum. A question/answer given to Barry before UFC 115.

Sherdog.com: Is your instinct still to check on an injured opponent?

Barry: I’ve done that a lot. This is also my weakness. I’m not a bloodthirsty animal. I’ve hit guys, and this is bad for me, but I’ve hit some guys with some real stiff shots and not followed it up. Like -- boom -- then kind of like look at them to see if they’re OK. Not OK, but if they’re dazed enough that the ref would stop the fight, versus some guy being unconscious, and, while he’s unconscious, me hit him six more times before the ref gets to him. That’s also bad because I’ve had guys in really bad situations where if I was to just bump into them a little, I’d finish the fight, and guys have gone from dazed to woken up. If you remember the Tim Hague fight [at UFC 98], when he stumbled back, he was out. He was like dazed. All I had to do was just touch him, but instead I backed up and looked at him. So by the time I got back to him, he was back awake again.

...so basically this guy doesn't learn from his mistakes.
Pretty bored.

#4 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:34 AM

^^ Moohaha that's how I would be if I was an UFC fighter. I'm a nice person and I wouldn't want to harm anyone too bad that's why I watch not fight tongue.gif

Edited by Muffins?, 14 June 2010 - 03:35 AM.

JLHza2T.png

#5 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:32 PM

It really sucks to see Chuck go out the way he has but hes been in too many wars that is jaw is just swiss cheese now. likes 4 of his last five losses were by knockout. Franklin is just about finished too, he was losing right until he caught Chuck.

Cant wait to see Lesnar and Carwin

And also just throwing it out for discussion, Fedor is a fight ducking coward.
\

#6 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:56 AM

McGee is the season 11 Ultimate Fighter. Congrats to him, very much dominated the fight on the ground against McGray.

Jardine with the poke in the eye point deduction in the 2nd round was, obviously, pretty costly since Hamill ended up winning by majority decision. Jardine was just gassed in the 3rd round and Hamill took advantage. End of Jardine's career?

Yager versus Attonito. Attonito just had to survive the first round, since Yager (who's really fast and athletic) seems to really slow down as a fight goes on.

I'm also looking pretty forward to UFC 116 Lesnar versus Carwin. Lesnar has been able to dominate his opponents with his size and strength, but that advantage isn't as big against Carwin. So I think Carwin has a very realistic possibility to beat Lesnar, even though he's a pretty big underdog (according to the books).
Pretty bored.

#7 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:46 AM

Wasn't able to catch most of WEC 49 tonight, only saw the last 2 rounds of the Varner vs. Shalorus match.

Varner ended up breaking his right hand (and right foot?) in the 2nd round, so he ended up only being able to throw left lead jabs. The match ended up in a draw, but could have easily went to Varner. Big reason is because, surprisingly, Shalorus was content playing the stand-up game even though he's a world class wrestler.

Shalorus also ended up low-blowing Varner 3 (!) times in the match. Was pretty funny to watch since it seemed that his low-blow kicks got more and more accurate with each one. Not a good day for Varner, broken right hand and foot, match he thought he should have won ended up in a draw, and his family jewels got pretty bruised.
Pretty bored.

#8 Mik3

Mik3

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:06 AM

Ha Fedor's legacy padding is finished, got caught by Werdum who showed excellent BJJ skills on the mat and was able to apply the triangle choke and make Fedor Tap for the first time in his career. Very satisfying to see the fedor fanboys in such incredible agony over it.
\

#9 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:21 AM

QUOTE (Mik3 @ Jun 26 2010, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ha Fedor's legacy padding is finished, got caught by Werdum who showed excellent BJJ skills on the mat and was able to apply the triangle choke and make Fedor Tap for the first time in his career. Very satisfying to see the fedor fanboys in such incredible agony over it.

No kidding. How he's considered one of the best pound for pound fighters is just crazy. Before tonight he hasn't had a good opponent for 5 years.

Not a very surprising result, but didn't expect it to end so quickly. (My stream got disconected right as the fight got started! By the time I got it back, he was already tapping).
Pretty bored.

#10 Mik3

Mik3

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:57 AM

Lesnar just came back from nowhere and submitted carwin. What a fight, I don't know who else could have survived the beating Carwin gave him. Brock is now the undisputed top heavyweight in the world, at least till he fights Cain.

And I understand why Fedor didn't come to the UFC, hd wouldn't make it against the tougher competition
\

#11 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:57 AM

Happy I didn't buy into the Carwin hype like I did with the Barry hype. Although if Carwin didn't gas out so quickly in that first round he could have ended it.

Another solid night of fights.

Sotiropoulos is a great fighter. He always brings his best to the ring and his fights are always a treat to watch since he really takes it to his opponent.

Beautiful submission by Chris Lytle. Transitioned to a mounted triangle while working the armbar. Can't get much better than that.

Leben's 2nd fight in 2 weeks. Huge props to him. Was able to choke Akiyama out with 20 seconds left when the decision would have surely went to Akiyama.

QUOTE (Mik3 @ Jul 3 2010, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lesnar just came back from nowhere and submitted carwin. What a fight, I don't know who else could have survived the beating Carwin gave him. Brock is now the undisputed top heavyweight in the world, at least till he fights Cain.

I don't think Cain puts up a better fight than Carwin did. This fight showed that Lesnar is suspectible to punches, but with the size difference (Cain is tiny compared to Lesnar) I don't see Cain being able to stop Lesnar's takedown at all. And from there it's Lesnar's fight.

QUOTE (Mik3 @ Jul 3 2010, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And I understand why Fedor didn't come to the UFC, hd wouldn't make it against the tougher competition

Fedor was the king of HW 5 years ago. The division has grown since then and has a much deeper talent pool. Compared to the HW stars of today in the UFC, Fedor stands little chance.
Pretty bored.

#12 NuclearRaven

NuclearRaven

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Sports, Video games, and band.

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:34 PM

I was pulling for Brock the entire way. When Carwin got him down and started to rain punches in the first round I was thinking "Uh Oh". Good thing Brock defended himself and submitted Carwin in the second round. Good UFC event and glad to see Brock back in the cage.
Spock it, lock it, rocket, explode it, reload it.

#13 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:01 AM

Munoz is such a boring fighter. Pretty much leg humps his opponents the entire round.

The Fireball Kid Gomi had a spetacular KO. He took some shots as they exchanged but a great right hook. Griffin, btw, is a sore loser. Dude, you face-planted into the mat and could barely stand back up. Accept the loss.

Ellenberger pretty much controlled his fight. Got rocked a couple times, but recovered quickly. Howard's eye looked crazy bad in the 3rd round. Really thought the doctor was going to stop it sooner.

Again, Munoz is a boring fighter. He commits to the takedown and rarely ever lets it go... even when he's being stuffed the entire round. This fight also displayed the UFC judges' BS ability to judge fights again. Split decision? Should have been UD Okami. But 1 judge, I guess, decided to give Munoz the first round because of a takedown that Okami got up from half a second later.

Jon Jones. Give him a top 10 fight already! Too much coddling to a guy that deserves to start moving up the ranks.
Pretty bored.

#14 Mik3

Mik3

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:27 PM

Great showing from Gomi, kinda suprising to me after he stood around eating jabs from K-flo and then to be submitted. Though maybe he just isn't familiar with boxing. But man he did drop Tyson. And the ref was correct on the decision.

Sucks for Howard but Ellenberger was able to recover everytime he ge was in danger and howard looked a little tired to be able to finish. And once again they did the right thing by stopping the fight. His eye looked ready to pop. No way he could have been seeing through that.

I was super pissed at Munos, he did hurt Okami in the second round but he went back to his takedown attempts instead of following through. HAd he tried to stand and fight in the third instead of those time wasting, useless shoots he might have had the win. But since he wussed out on this fight im glad Okami was able to hurt him in the third and get the victory. If Munos keeps fighting like that, he shouldn't be around.

Jones needs some good comp asap, and the rumor is he is getting the winner of bader vs lil nog, so he will be on his way to some big fights in the next year or so

And Chael talks soooooo much kittening crap. I will say it is the right mentality to have, you should believe that are going to win every fight you get into but he might be pushing it now. We'll see saturday. And I also can't wait to see Big Country and JDS.
\

#15 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (Mik3 @ Aug 2 2010, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was super pissed at Munos, he did hurt Okami in the second round but he went back to his takedown attempts instead of following through. HAd he tried to stand and fight in the third instead of those time wasting, useless shoots he might have had the win. But since he wussed out on this fight im glad Okami was able to hurt him in the third and get the victory. If Munos keeps fighting like that, he shouldn't be around.

This is why I think the UFC should allow knees and kicks to a downed opponent like back in Pride. Would stop wrestlers from shooting all the time, failing, and laying there on their knees. It's just giving too much protection to wrestlers - allowing them to shoot without much consequence (and then the judges end up rewarding too much for takedowns even if the wrestler doesn't do anything while on top).
Pretty bored.

#16 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:43 PM

And Chael talks soooooo much kittening crap. I will say it is the right mentality to have, you should believe that are going to win every fight you get into but he might be pushing it now

He does, but you know what? smack talk aside I trully hope chael punishes, beats, destroys, and out right humiliates silva in this fight. Silvas become too complacent too the point where he treats every fight like a joke. And for a fighter of his caliber thats just not acceptable to me. Dana about fired him after that last mockery of a fight he put on where he half-@ssed it through the fight.

If were lucky chel will destroy him utterly and itll be a stepping stone for silva to get back into shape and rebuild his badly damaged rep as a top tier fighter.
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#17 Mik3

Mik3

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (catsi563 @ Aug 3 2010, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He does, but you know what? smack talk aside I trully hope chael punishes, beats, destroys, and out right humiliates silva in this fight. Silvas become too complacent too the point where he treats every fight like a joke. And for a fighter of his caliber thats just not acceptable to me. Dana about fired him after that last mockery of a fight he put on where he half-@ssed it through the fight.

If were lucky chel will destroy him utterly and itll be a stepping stone for silva to get back into shape and rebuild his badly damaged rep as a top tier fighter.

Oh I don't like Anderson Silva at all, and i'd like to see him lose but he is just in a good place in this division and im not sure anyone can beat him. I think Vitor Belfort possibly could.
\

#18 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (catsi563 @ Aug 3 2010, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's cause every fight is a joke until some actual competition shows up for him at the MW division. Dana White said after the Maia fight “If you’re that talented, be Mike Tyson. Go in and finish it in two minutes.” and I think that's what most people have with Anderson. He's so good but doesn't finish fights dominantly. But the thing is is that he's a counter striker and doesn't put himself in needless danger. So I don't see why he needs to change up his style just to please White and the fans. That's just me though. And Dana White won't fire (arguably) the best pound-for-pound fighter in the sport. An empty threat.

Sonnen doesn't stand much chance against Anderson in my opinion... it's just Dana White and his hype-machine at work again to make people think he does... and it's working.

Edited by Unknown Entity, 04 August 2010 - 05:38 PM.

Pretty bored.

#19 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:04 PM

its true enough but that to me is the problem.

I think silvas gotten too comfortable, hes gotten too lax in his role as champ. evrything Ive seen points to me that hes asleep at the wheel right now.

youre right in that he is a counter striker but even with that in mind he had multiple opportunities to finish Maia easilly, but spent time joking around and making an Arse of himself.

I honestly agree with Dana, if your so good, get in there and establish the dominance. destroy your opposition and be done with it. Dont make a fool of yourself and by proxy the UFC and Mixed martial arts in general with inappropriate antics and farsical behavior.
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#20 Illmatic

Illmatic

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:04 AM

Chael Sonnen you are one tough bastard. Did everything but win. Amazing Fight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users